Advanced Environmental Research and Transformative Sustainability Exchange

Blog #3: Survey and Germany Trip Reflections

My research is attempting to answer the question, what are the desired cognitive, affective, and behavioral outcomes of environmental and energy education efforts in Germany, as described by policies and individuals in support of EE? For my research in Germany, I interviewed parents and caretakers at a park in Berlin. I conducted my surveys on International Womens Day, a bank holiday in the city. Many families were enjoying the day off and some rare sunshine at the playground. I wasn’t sure how my questions about energy literacy and environmental education would be received given the young age of many of the children. I expected many people to be confused or uninterested in my questions, thinking they might be too niche or sobering for a broad audience. It surprised me that the majority of respondents seemed engaged in issues concerning environment andthe energy transition. It surprised me even more that many of them actively incorporated their children into their actions and consideration. 

The children of respondents ranged between nine months and fourteen years old. Six of the ten respondent’s children were five or under. When asked if the parent or caregiver talked with their child about environmental issues, eight of ten said yes. When asked if they talked with their child about the energy transition, only four of ten said yes. Many cited the age of their child as a reason for not discussing the Energiewende. Others said that they discuss climate change but not the energy transition specifically. Among those who said they did discuss it, two were parents of children aged four or younger. When asked if they think it is important that their child receive education about the Energiewende, all but one respondent said yes. Many of the respondents were enthusiastic in their responses, reacting almost as if not raising the topic would be out of the ordinary. When I asked what specific concepts they hope their children understand about the energy transition, responses ranged from “what coal and gas do” to “how we consume.” When I asked how parents and caregivers hope their child feels emotionally about the energy transition, responses ranged from “responsibility” to “sensitive” to “aware” of how precarious of a moment we’re in as a society. When asked if they hope their child behaves in ways that help conserve energy, eight respondents said yes and outlined behaviors ranging from biking to civil disobedience. One of the most interesting findings from my survey was the response to one of the final questions I asked parents: “Do you believe environmental issues will be a part of your child(ren)’s world as an adult?” Every single respondent replied yes, without hesitation. That even parents who admitted to not talking about the energy transition or broader challenges with their kids would acknowledge this truth was interesting.

Learning about German culture and the Energiewende while traveling across Germany helped to contextualize these responses. Conversations about the environment, sustainability, and energy seemed less polarized in Germany than in the US. Buses, political posters, and trash cans all displayed messaging connecting to climate and energy conservation, whereas in the US I frequently drive by billboards demonizing the Green New Deal. Efficient and convenient public transportation helped us travel as a large group through cities and the countryside, whereas at home I am reliant on my car for most travel. Plant-based food options were everywhere, whereas at my college options can be limited and nutritionally insufficient. Like America, Germany has a long way to go to transition away from fossil fuels. Instead of fighting to communicate scientific consensus and implement common-sense changes, however, they seem to be figuring out how best to move forward through a suboptimal present. I’m hopeful that this level of scientific literacy and communication could be reached in the US as well.

Next Post

Previous Post

1. Hadi April 4, 2023

Thank you Claire for sharing your fascinating findings from your research on environmental and energy education in Germany. It inspires me that so many parents and caregivers are actively engaged in dialogues with their children about these critical concerns, especially when their children are young. It demonstrates that people are becoming increasingly conscious of the significance of environmental education and the need for a more sustainable future. However, your survey findings on the many cognitive, emotional, and behavioral impacts of environmental and energy education programs in Germany are really interesting. It’s amazing to read that many parents hope their children will behave in energy-saving ways, and that some have even discussed civil disobedience. This demonstrates that people are growing more conscious of the need for action and are prepared to take more drastic measures to safeguard the environment.
    Your thoughts on German culture and the Energiewende were equally interesting. It’s great to see Germany make substantial progress away from fossil fuels, and that the country has a strong commitment to sustainability and energy saving. That makes me question what actions the United States may take to move toward a more sustainable future, and whether there are lessons to be learned from Germany’s approach. Overall, I believe your study and views give significant insights on the significance of environmental education and the necessity for environmental action. Thank you for informing us about your discoveries, and I hope to see more study in this area in the future.

2. Sarah Abdulazeez April 5, 2023

Hi Claire!
    I hope you had fun while you were in Germany, regardless of it being an educational trip. It is promising to hear that the majority of respondents in Germany are engaged in environmental issues and incorporating their children in their actions and consideration. It is even more encouraging to hear that even the parents of young children are discussing the energy transition with their kids. It is important that the younger generations are aware of the precarious moment that the world is in and the role that they can play in helping conserve energy and protect the environment. It is also encouraging to see the level of scientific literacy and communication in Germany regarding climate and energy conservation. It is clear that Germany is in a much better position than the US in terms of environmental issues, and it is something that the US should strive to achieve. It is imperative that the younger generations are well-educated on the issues of climate change and energy conservation and that they feel empowered to take action. Hopefully the US can learn from Germany’s example and make similar progress. I would love to hear more about how your research progress is going!