Articles Comments

Dickinson to Durban » Summer Reading Responses » What makes a freedom fighter?

What makes a freedom fighter?

(In response to the prompt ” How did Nelson Mandela’s Childhood and education impact his political philosophy?”)

Nelson Mandela was not always the man we know him to be today. Not every human is destined to become their country’s first African attorney, be imprisoned for 27 years, and later become the winner of a Nobel Peace Prize. Yet, however extraordinary the events of Nelson Mandela’s life were to become, they began in much the same way as many other poverty-stricken Africans of his generation. He, his mother, and siblings lived in small mud-walled huts without any of the modern amenities available at that time. Mandela spent his early years enjoying the simple games of stick fighting and meals of samp (corn porridge) and beans, while leaning to look after sheep and cows in the field.

So how does such an ordinary existence create one of the most remarkable leaders of our time? In one of the later chapters of the book, Mandela himself (ironically) comments on one of his fellow freedom fighters, Chris Hani stating,

“As I arrived in this village with no running water or electricity, I marveled at how this poor and tiny village could produce a man who stirred the entire nation with his passion and ability.”

Although it is true that Nelson Mandela was, in many ways, an average child in his land, there were a few exceptions in his upbringing which made him more privileged than most.
Perhaps one of the most important of these privileges was in his name. Mandela’s father was a chief and counselor to the king of the Thembu tribe. This position is passed down through generations and so Mandela was known to be, one day, of great power and importance. The next important course of Mandela’s life came when it was decided that he should attend school. When he was nine, Mandela moved from his village to the home of Chief Jongintaba, the regent of the Thembu people. The rectangular built houses were the grandest Mandela had ever seen, and he would soon benefit from all the advantages living in such a prestigious residence could offer. This is undoubtedly when Mandela’s life takes a great change in its previous course, and he writes,

“…I felt like a sapling pulled from the root and branch from the earth and flung into the center of a stream whose strong current I could not resist…Suddenly a new world opened before me. In that instant, I saw that life might hold more for me than being a champion stick-fighter”

Not only was Mandela getting a better education in this situation, he was also surrounded by elders with vast knowledge of African history, religion, and politics. From a young age he was able to sit in on the tribal meetings which were held at his home. By listening closely to the speeches of each chief, he was able to see the value of pure democracy. Everyone was able to voice their opinions and criticisms of the meetings topic and did so persistently. For Mandela, attending these meetings far surpassed the education he received, in determining the course of his future life. He acknowledges this feeling and states,

“As a leader, I have always followed the principles I first saw demonstrated by the regent at the Great Place. I have always endeavored to listen to what each and every person had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a consensus of what I heard in the discussion.”

In the coming years, Mandela would be exposed to more and more of these meetings as the Regent groomed him for his birthright position; a chief advisor to the Thembu King. Of course, his time in boarding school, university atFortHare, and working forJohannesburglaw firms would provide many more opportunities to shape his political beliefs in other directions. Although these later experiences led him astray from his familial obligations, I believe it was the influence of these early years of education which set the course for Nelson Mandela’s life as a freedom fighter. Thanks to his upbringing with the regent, Mandela was able to become a leader who was committed, loyal, and relentlessly unwavering in the struggle for democratic equality of all South African people.

Response by Dani Thompson, class of 2012

Written by

I think GIS is ok.

Filed under: Summer Reading Responses · Tags: , , ,