The Dark in White

There is obvious tension between Irene Adler and Sherlock Holmes as both individuals are more perceptive, intelligent, but above all mysterious than the average citizen. As a Chinese proverb goes: “a mountain cannot house two tigers,” Holmes and Adler are both bold and occasionally reckless when executing their plans.

However, there are similarities between the two when both are on screen in succession. For example, the first instance where this happens is when “both” of them are naked. We see Holmes covered in a long white sheet while Adler is completely naked shortly after. The sheets play an interesting role here. One, the fact that it is white is ironic as white usually resembles purity and thus nothing to hide. But this is Holmes as he is far from being pure. Instead he is a black hole. He takes in anything but little is known about him other than his gifted ability to perceive everyday objects and routines in detail. The fact that Watson, his partner, cannot read Holmes indicates just how complex he is as a person. Second, along with the deep and mysterious personality Holmes embodies, the white sheet acts as a stark contrast to how is he as a person; the white sheet wrapping around him serves as a visual oxymoron.

We are then introduced to Irene Adler as the visual evidence continues. When she walks into the room completely naked in front of Holmes, she is doing two things. She is trying to seduce him and to “protect” herself by exposing her entire body. From an earlier scene we can gather that Holmes is about to “read” people as he made observations about people’s behavior and outward appearance. By showcasing herself in front of Holmes scantily clad she is able to shield herself from being read like a “normal” person and disguise her enigmatic personality.

4 thoughts on “The Dark in White”

1. I liked how you explored both the figurative and literal contrast of light and darkness and made some interesting comparisons. I also think that you could include that in the next scene, when Adler appears naked, how Holmes is now in all black, and she is, in a way, in all white. Then mention after a few words with Holmes, how she puts on a black trench coat.

2. Your ideas about the contrast of black and white here are interesting! I particularly liked the bit about the irony of the white sheet wrapped around Sherlock. The idea of Sherlock Holmes as a black hole was really cool as well. I think that, in addition to the contrast of black and white in Sherlock himself, another contrast can be seen in Sherlock’s appearance and the appearance of everyone else in the Buckingham Palace scene. Sherlock wears white while everyone else wears black.

3. I think that your entire argument is very interesting. Sherlock Holmes is a very literal and analytically based person, so for him his whole life is basically black and white, as far as observations go. For Irene to contrast his clothing with none, to show off her white skin when he is in black, all of these things coincide with the concept of opposites attracting.

4. I love the comparison to the proverb: “a mountain cannot house two tigers.” I think that is a very interesting comparison and I think it works extremely well with Irene and Sherlock. I also really like the idea of the sheets Sherlock is using to cover himself are significant. I did think it was interesting that you said Holmes is going against the purity symbolized by the sheets. I think that in a lot of ways Sherlock is pure. He is referenced as “the virgin” a few times and also “the little brother” where youth is aligned with purity. Despite this, I like the devil’s advocate point of Sherlock being a black hole. Over all I think this is a really well written post and I agree with your points.