Here is the most interesting discovery I made during my research

By:Kristina Niedermayer

One of the most useful files that I came across is the drop file titled “Civil War Cumberland County,” file L16.0060. This file of useful information that I previously blogged about, is located at the Cumberland County Historical society and is available upon request. The letter written by Fitz-Hugh Lee titled “Letter of Gen. Fitz-Hugh Lee containing allusions to the shelling of Carlisle, Pa., July 1, 1863.” This letter is located in the “Civil War Correspondence File,” number 024-001-015. In a previous blog post I thought the historical society did not have the whole letter, however, I realize that I overlooked the last page because I was rushing myself. (Something I must learn not to do while conducting research).

By re-writing Gen. Lee’s letter, I have come to a different conclusion than in my previous blog post. First of all, this letter was written a little over 20 years after the attack so we must be careful with our interpretation of what is being said as people memories are foggy and cannot be taken at face value. It was not that General Lee was instructed to destroy ALL property, but rather he was instructed to destroy all public property. He is writing about a Mr. Delany’s private property that was destroyed and claims he cannot recall the event of destruction but that his men were instructed only to destroy PUBLIC property and if they did not follow orders then they would have been punished. Lee goes on to explain that there were no armed forced to prevent the attack of Carlisle on the July 1st. Then, he explains that the objective of the confederate army was to reach York but it was then decided the confederate forces should meet up around Carlisle. However, there was a mix-up and General Stuart ended up proceeding to Gettysburg. This led the federal army to in essence come between the confederate forces and it contact between confederate forces was made difficult by this barrier. When General Lee came closer to Carlisle, he had no idea there were Union forces that were not willing to cooperate and so he goes on to claim that he had no choice but to attack the town. He kindly gave orders to evacuate all women and children and to put them into safety. General Lee proceeded to attack Carlilse the morning after as well. Lee’s last paragraph offers an apologetic reflection of the event. He claims he did not want to harm Carlisle or the town of Carlisle (where many of his friends lived), but it was a time of “horrid war.” Lee concludes with a beautiful allusion to how war separated the paths between him and his army and his Carlilian friends. Lee’s letter is very useful as a reflection of the Shelling. It shows Lee’s humanity and the personal tensions associated with wartime.

I have transcribed the letter bellow.

Letter of Gen. Fitz-Hugh Lee
containing allusions to the Shelling of
Carlisle, Pa., July 1, 1863.

Richard, Stanford Co., Va.
Aug. 25, 1882.

Mr. J. T. Zug,
My dear Sir: –
I am very much obliged for your kind and interesting letter of the 10th inst Mr. O Delancy is mistaken if he though I intended in my reply to his letter, to give and evasive answer. I would only be too glad to be of service to him. I think it is most probable his property was burned under the impression it was public or U.S property – from your description of its character and position – but I can not give a certificate to that effect, for the reason that I do not recollect nor can I recall the circumstance. My uncle Gen. R. E. Lee’s orders were very strict as to the destruction of private property while his army was in your state – my cavalry was a part of his army and I was particularly strict in carrying out his instructions in that respect. I mention this that you may draw a general inference, that Mr. D’s property was not burned as private property , for no man in my command would have so flagrantly disobeyed orders, because if his own sense of duty did not prevent him, his offence would have been seen and punished. There were no troops in front of Carlisle on the afternoon and night of July 1st, 1863, except my command – At the time I commanded a Brigade of four regiments. On July 1st, our cavalry Corps under Stuart were marching on Carlisle – my Brigade in advance, the other Brigades were under Hampton and Chambliss, the three under Stuart. We left our army in Virginia & crossing the Potomac above Washington, moved through Rockville & Westminster Md & Hanover &c. in Penn’a Our objective point was York, but hearing our army had evacuated that place we turned on Carlisle, hoping to unite with it there, but en route Stuart got communication from Gen. Lee saying he was concentrating his army at Gettysburg and ordering him to proceed thither, so he turned off when probably some 12 miles of Carlisle with Hampton and Chambliss while I being in the advance of some distance ahead was directed to go on to Carlisle and then to come on during the night or as early as possible the next morning & follow the column which had taken a shorter route to G [Gettysburg]. Our move through Maryland & Pennsylvania interposed the Federal army between our army and ourselves & hence it was difficult to get information as to Gen. Lee’s positions, &c. I did not know that Carlisle was occupied by hostile troops until I got within a mile or two of the place, and all of the statements as to the affair of July 1st., there, it must be borne in mind that Carlisle was occupied by troops, and their Commander refused to surrender it, of course there was nothing left but to fight for it, & when that alternative was presented I sent a staff-officer to Gen. Smith telling him I was going to attack & that I would wait for him to put the women and children in places of safety & suggesting the cellars.
I moved off during the night in consequence of an urgent dispatch for Stuart to come on at once after him (he having again heard from Gen Lee), and after I had made my plans to attack again at light in the morning.
Sometime when I can get much leisure I will give you some of the incidents of that night, now I have only time to say that it was with much regret I proceeded with hostile intent against Carlisle. My first military service after graduating from West Point was there. I knew & had received the hospitalities of most of its citizens. I had warm & earnest and good friends among its inhabitants. Some of the most plesant [this is the way he spells it] days of my life were passed in the hospitable homes of her people but war – horrid war- was raging then between the & those with me, & my path and their paths had separated.
Xxx x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
X x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x xxx
I am very respec. & truly
Yours Fitzhugh Lee

(Original in possession of the Hamilton Library Asso. Library Association, Carlisle, Pa.)