More Than a Disease

In the play Angels in America by Tony Kushner, Prior Walter, a gay man suffering from AIDS, is chosen as a religious prophet, and eventually refutes his position. By making a sick gay man a prophet who stands up to otherworldly figures, Kushner challenges anti-gay sentiments and proves that those infected with AIDS are more than their disease.

Act Five of Perestroika places Prior in heaven, as he attempts to bargain with the angels that have blessed him with their knowledge. Prior speaks to the angels: “I’m leaving Heaven to you now. I’ll take my illness with me, and. And I’ll take my death with me, too. The earth’s my home, and I want to go home” (Kushner 279). The author chooses Prior’s words carefully to demonstrate his self assurance. Prior does not ask permission to leave heaven, but rather, he states that he is leaving the religious duties to the angels. By standing up for himself, Prior begins to show fortitude. Most importantly, Prior explains that his illness, AIDS, will still be with him when he returns to earth. Even though he wishes he could recover from AIDS, he recognizes this disease will be with him for the rest of his life, up until his death. That simple recognition displays Prior’s strength. But AIDS does not define who he is. 

By writing that Prior is actively “taking” AIDS with him, Kushner conveys the idea that the illness is secondary to Prior’s humanity. Throughout the AIDS crisis, sick gay men were often recognized as just their disease and nothing more. Their interests, passions, and hobbies were overlooked because bigots were so focused on villainizing them. Prior’s character combats these ideas, and shows that people living with AIDS are more than their disease, and are strong enough to fight against bias.

One thought on “More Than a Disease”

1. I really appreciated how you focused on how Kushner separates the homosexual community from the disease. This resonated with me specifically because I grew up genuinely believing that AIDS was spread through homosexual encounters only, as I grew up in a conservative and religious town. This, along with other measures, helped build up my own internalized homophobia that nagged at me for a long time.