Observations and ideas about race, ethnicity and mixing.

Within Systematic Oppression

Through cross generational and bi-ethnic relationships, A Brighter Sun and The Dragon Can’t Dance reveal the intricacy of cultivating unity between the Africans and Indians in the Caribbean Islands. In almost all instances, Africans and Indians invalidate the parallel of their circumstances because of the colonially curated mistrust between them. This tactic ensures that Africans and Indians do not unite and resist or challenge the colonial hierarchy of race and class. The success of this manipulation of the African and Indian union was seen when most (Hindu) Indians would not support the African-made People’s National Movement.  It has been almost 70 years since the development of this movement and as America becomes increasingly racially and ethnically diverse, there is still the instinct for Latinx and African Americans to feel as though they are not fighting the same fight. That the fight is between them to be one leg up from the other.  It is a huge disservice to disenfranchised and marginalized people to believe that the different details of their existence divide them rather then strengthen them as a whole.

1. Bryana Barron

I value you findings of the readings we have done in class of these two cultures in Trinidad. I sometimes make the distinction as well my Latinx community with other marginalized groups in social reform. Nevertheless, we all must fight as one in order to gain an end point to equality.

2. jimminkc

In my Africana Studies class we were talking about Affirmative Action and how it needs to be updated to today’s society. One student brought up a conversation he had with his Asian American roommate. He stated that he applied to 14 schools and only go in two schools. The student didn’t state it but, it was perceived that the student thought that a black student had HIS spot because of Affirmative Action.

3. umutonik

I think the point you make can be true even within communities of people of the same race. For example, in black communities the divide that is sometimes present among people of a dark skin and light skin completion. Or in some African countries tensions between tribes that were fueled by the white man during colonization. I think one of the tactics Europeans used in colonizing people of color across the globe was divide and rule and unfortunately to some extent this was successful.

4. Eve Giordano

Kayla, I love this blog post topic. I also do not understand why members of different marginalized groups pit themselves against each other rather than backing one another up. I encourage you to check out this article I found online, it is about the controversy surrounding athletes of color and who are white that knelt during the National Anthem. http://www.spsp.org/news-center/blog/similarities-bring-marginalized-groups-together
    I am interested to hear your thoughts on this. Megan Rapinoe, a non-Black, gay, female soccer player for team USA was quoted in saying, “I have stood with my hand over my heart during the national anthem and felt like I haven’t had my liberties protected, so I can absolutely sympathize with that feeling.” I find myself wondering, are members of the LGBTQ community counted as being a “marginalized” group?