Time to Get Paranoid about your Thyroid

By: Shelly Hwang

April 3, 2010

Most young adults from the ages of 18 to 44 don’t give much thought to their thyroid, but a study published earlier this month in Stroke: Journal of the American Heart Association reveals increased risk of stroke in young adults with an overactive thyroid.

So what exactly is an overactive thyroid? Hyperthyroidism, or an overactive thyroid, is a condition that causes overproduction of thyroid hormone, which increases metabolism and causes sweating, diarrhea, weight loss, and nervousness. Hyperthyroidism is common, affecting about 0.5-2% of the worldwide population, particularly young adults. The study shows an association between hyperthyroidism and ischemic stroke, which is the most common type of stroke caused by blocked arteries in or leading to the brain.

The study compared data on 3,176 young adults diagnosed with hyperthyroidism between January 1998 and December 2001 and 25,408 patients without thyroid disease, with the average age being 32 years. After five years, 198 of the 28,584 patients developed ischemic stroke (0.7%), with 1% of the hyperthyroidism patients and 0.6% of the comparison group having a stroke. After accounting for many factors such as age, gender, high blood pressure, diabetes, and an irregular heart rhythm called atrial fibrillation (AF), the risk of hyperthyroidism patients having a stroke was 44 percent higher than those without hyperthyroidism.

In adults over the age of 60, Hyperthyroidism is known to be associated with AF, which occurs when the heart beats irregularly and ineffectively and can lead to a stroke. However, the risk of stroke in younger people with hyperthyroidism has not been previously studied. This study could lead to a new screening process for young adults to help lower risk of developing a stroke sooner than expected.

Press Release

American Stroke Association

18 thoughts on “Time to Get Paranoid about your Thyroid”

1. Interesting article, Shelly! Are there risk factors for hyperthyroidism besides age? Or do the confounding factors with stroke (age, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) increase risk?

2. Is it true that high blood pressure can be induced by thyroid failure? I am very scared because my levels of thyroid hormone are pretty high and I have read that this may influence quicker metabolism which in turn can affect blood pressure. Is it true?

3. Thyroid is the common problem in young generation and they are not aware of that, unhealthy diet and hectic routine is becoming the reason for many problems.

4. The basic factor nowadays for most diseases is stress. However medical sights are also getting superior rapidly alike robotic surgery systems have divided the performance of a team of doctors into a singal unit.

5. My new physician’s assistants took me off of my thyroid medicine (Synthroid). Synthroid he said, ‘it was an infant dose and why am I taking such a dangerous medication’? I have to go in the blood work ( yes, that’s understandable) He has made me wait a couple of weeks before doing it, but I have edema in my legs again, gaining weight, exhausted. I told him going on and off of this medicine affects me mentally and he disagreed with me. I took some thyroid supplements from the health food store and that helped with the mental issues like depression, and thank goodness for that. My blood pressure is high again, and on the medication, all these issues were resolved. The hair loss is still frustrating. Thanks, I wanted to write this in case anyone else is going to the same issues. Please answer

6. Diseases are very dangerous they shove your body, and if you are on bed rest, then you should know about movierulz websites to pass your time.

7. Hello! Thank you for this amazing article! I know that thyroid gland controls your metabolism, its role is not just about regulating weight, and it is often underestimated. It’s involved in strength, muscle rebuilding, brain health, heart health, skin, nail, and hair health, mental health and more.

8. The thyroid gland is a very important organ. Problems with the thyroid gland can turn into problems with weight, pressure, and well-being. It is very important to see a doctor in time.

9. The Vlone Outfit carries a strong message behind it. It refers to “You live alone, you die alone”. It reflects your lifestyle. The way to express your feelings, thoughts, and ideas in terms of dressing.

10. By way of introduction, I am Mark Schaefer, and I represent Nutritional Products International. We serve both international and domestic manufacturers who are seeking to gain more distribution within the United States. Your brand recently caught my attention, so I am contacting you today to discuss the possibility of expanding your national distribution reach.We provide expertise in all areas of distribution, and our offerings include the following: Turnkey/One-stop solution, Active accounts with major U.S. distributors and retailers, Our executive team held executive positions with Walmart and Amazon, Our proven sales force has public relations, branding, and marketing all under one roof, We focus on both new and existing product lines, Warehousing and logistics. Our company has a proven history of initiating accounts and placing orders with major distribution outlets. Our history allows us to have intimate and unique relationships with key buyers across the United States, thus giving your brand a fast track to market in a professional manner. Please contact me directly so that we can discuss your brand further. Kind Regards, Mark Schaefer, marks@nutricompany.com, VP of Business Development, Nutritional Products International, 101 Plaza Real S, Ste #224, Boca Raton, FL 33432, Office: 561-544-0719

11. You may get AuraGlow Coupon Code from this link. Finding a real AuraGlow Coupon Code might be hard sometimes. At there, you may get free discount code and offers for online stores and in stores. Also, daily deals and sales are available always.

12. Visit for Austin Kayak Coupon Code. Getting Austin Kayak Coupon Code for online shopping is easy there. Discount codes and offers are free and you may take advantages of all daily deals, sales, coupons and promo codes.