Little Georgey Knows More than he Says

In the middle of Volume II, chapter II, Robert Audley asks little Georgey if he would like to go to school. Georgey responds, “Oh, yes, please, I should like it very much. I went to school at Miss Pevin’s once- day-school, you know – round the corner in the next street, but I caught the measles, and granpa wouldn’t let me play with the little boys in the street, because they’re rude boys; he said blackguard boys; but he said I mustn’t say blackguard boys, because its naughty.” Georgey repeats “because” many times as if reciting his grandpa’s words verbatim. This passage shows that Georgey has a great memory, is very perceptive and an even better listener. Georgey’s mental development becomes crucial again to the mystery of the “nice lady” later in this chapter. Georgey is able to remember specific details that are crucial to Robert’s investigation.

I was initially confused with the use of the word “blackguard boys.” After researching the term, I found it was an adjective used to describe homeless orphans, runaways, or scoundrels (Wikipedia). This is an interesting coincidence because technically Georgey is an orphan as well. He lives with his grandfather but has a deceased mother and a missing father. To me, it seems like Mr. Maldon is hiding Georgey because he knows too much about their secret. Keeping Georgey in school is risky because children can’t be expected to keep secrets. Mrs. Plowson tries to keep Georgey away from Robert and will not leave him in the room alone with him for long. When Georgey tries to talk to Robert, Mrs. Plowson signals to Georgey to stop as if she knows it’s a secret. It is obvious Georgey could be a huge help in the mystery of his mother’s death and his father’s disappearance which is probably why Mr. Maldon keeps him from the public.

In contrast, Mr. Maldon’s motive for keeping Georgey from school could be health related. We know that he had the measles, which is a serious disease and we also know that Georgey has been to many children’s funerals. This connects to the “age of doubt” section we discussed in class. Mr. Maldon appears to live in poverty with probably bad sanitation. We also know that Helen Talboys became very ill and allegedly died from her sickness. It made me wonder if she got sick because of caring for Georgey and that’s why she was crying all the time. Regardless, Mr. Maldon’s neighborhood appears to be full of sickness and misfortune.