Checkmate

“Snap goes our third thread, and we end where we began,” said he. “The cunning rascal! He knew our number, knew that Sir Henry Baskerville had consulted me, spotted who I was in Regent Street, conjectured that I had got the number of the cab and would lay my hands on the driver, and so sent back this audacious message. I tell you, Watson, this time we have got a foeman who is worthy of our steel. I’ve been checkmated in London. I can only wish you better luck in Devonshire. But I’m not easy in my mind about it.”

“About what?”

“About sending you. It’s an ugly business, Watson, an ugly dangerous business, and the more I see of it the less I like it. Yes, my dear fellow, you may laugh, but I give you my word that I shall be very glad to have you back safe and sound in Baker Street once more.”

(Doyle chapter 5)

In the first five chapters of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s “The Hound of the Baskervilles,” readers find themselves into the enigmatic world of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson. This story follows the duo as they confront a strange case that revolves around the eerie legend of the Baskerville curse, a ghastly hound said to haunt the family. I thought the passage in question was captivating, especially because we are given an insight into Holmes’ mind which helps us understand his character even more. Sherlock Holmes is renowned for his remarkable intellect and keen sense of observation. However, what truly fascinates Holmes, is the prospect of facing a cunning and intelligent antagonist. In the text, Holmes’ exclamation, “The cunning rascal!” reveals his admiration for the adversary they are up against, this unveils how Holmes thrives on challenges that test the limits of his deductive abilities, and a worthy opponent excites his intellectual curiosity. This fascination goes beyond mere solving of cases; it’s a battle of wits that truly engages his mind. Holmes’ analysis of their opponent’s actions highlights his appreciation for the antagonist’s intelligence. The adversary not only deduced Holmes and Watson’s involvement but also anticipated their moves, such as tracking the cab and telling John Clayton “It might interest you to know that you have been driving Mr. Sherlock Holmes” because he knew Holmes would’ve tracked John down. This level of sophistication elevates the mystery and, in Holmes’ eyes, makes their adversary “worthy of our steel.”. The words used in this passage are quite well thought in my opinion: the term “checkmated”, of course, reflects Holmes’ recognition of defeat and demonstrates his respect for the adversary, but if you look at it from another point of view the meaning could take a turn. Any position in chess in which a player’s king is in check, and there is no way out, is known as a checkmate. The choice of this word is not casual: this is a game for Holmes, a sick game that he loves. I truly think this is what the passage is all about, how madly in love Holmes is with these mind games that stimulates his intellect. At the same time we find out Holmes’ unease about Watson’s involvement. Words like “ugly” and “dangerous” emphasize the risky nature of their work, but they also underscore the depth of their friendship, as Holmes expresses a genuine desire for Watson’s well-being.

2 thoughts on “Checkmate”

1. I think Holmes’ love of a mystery is such an important detail of his stories, because it keeps him from getting stuck in a loll during his mysteries. Because Holmes is not paid and he only takes these mysteries because of what he gets out of it personally, it makes his stories so much more interesting. I like how you pointed out that when Holmes has to deal with a better, more deceiving villain, it makes him better, because he thrives in those better, tougher situations, and gets more out of it mentally.

2. I really admire this post, I like how you emphasized that Holmes is in love with mind games/mysteries and how they stimulate him mentally. This post almost persuaded me that Holmes solves mysteries for his own benefit/satisfaction. And while I think that is not entirely true, I have to agree because I never thought to look into the language used in the passage. Part of me thinks he continues to solve mysteries because it is what he is good at and good things come from his discoveries, the bad lose and the good win. However, after reading this blog post I must agree that Holmes gets a small personal satisfaction. But, who doesn’t from solving a mystery? Isn’t that the point of board games, and card games, to start with nothing at the beginning and use your mind to uniquely strategize to win. I think he just likes a good game, but also is at ease when the people involved get the justice they deserve.