Sherlock Holmes obsession for justice

“You will excuse me for a few minutes while I satisfy myself as to this floor,” He threw himself down upon his dace with his lens in his hand, and crawled swiftly backwards and forwards, examining minutely the cracks between the woodwork with which the chamber was panelled.” (Doyle 144)

Throughout the narrative, and specifically this quote, the quest to uncover the truth behind Julia Stoner’s mysterious death is amplified. In Chapter 8, Holmes is faced with the daunting task of exposing the real villain, Dr. Grimesby Roylott. The language in the quote, “You will excuse me for a few minutes while I satisfy myself as to this floor,” is laden with purpose and determination, painting a vivid image in the readers head of exactly how Holmes is conducting this search. Doyle starts by giving the reader an idea that Holmes is willing to excuse himself from dialogue in order to begin conducting a very thorough search. Through this, the reader can imagine Holmes quickly shifting from a train of thought to looking for more clues. As in all great detective stories, it is imperative that the main character pays close attention to their work, however, in looking deeper into the language, I believe this is meant to serve a larger purpose than simply showing how detailed Holmes is in his work. In this moment, I think a broader metaphor for justice is unveiled.

The use of phrases like “satisfy myself”, “threw himself”, and “examining minutely the cracks” goes beyond imagery and underscores Holmes’s commitment to thorough investigation, highlighting his dedication to uncovering the truth. Just as Holmes painstakingly examines the floor, he delves into the darkest corners of human behavior to expose wrongdoers. It reminded me that the idea that true justice demands a thorough investigation and an unwavering commitment to the truth. We discussed in class the idea of Sherlock Holmes being an early superhero, something like that of a Marvel Character. I think as I looked deeper into this passage I could envision Sherlock as a true modern day superhero, with his immaculate ability to use inductive reasoning as his “super power”.

4 thoughts on “Sherlock Holmes obsession for justice”

1. I think this is a good point. Sherlock Holmes seems to be on another level than any other detective, especially his partner Watson. It is important how you connected his ability to make intelligent conclusions with a seeking eye for justice. Throughout the chapter, Holmes realizes how evil Doctor Roylott is. This fuels Holmes to bring Miss Stoner justice.

2. This is also a good point; it not only showcases his thoroughness in his investigations, which is what he is known for, but it also could be a reference to the fact he has no life. Throughout this story and other adaptations of Sherlock Homes, it is apparent that his entire life is his detective work. he could have love interests on the side, but that seems not to last very long or be as passionate. To draw from the original point and the comment above, I believe his drive to excel at his position and deliver justice is admirable; but besides his addictive habits, he has no outlet or fun in his life. Eventually, the lack of balance will catch up with him, and he could break down.

1. I think this is a great way to interpret this blog post! I understand this point of view entirely, but I must disagree that he has no life, or has no fun! Holmes has a unique ability to solve mysteries which normal thinking people cannot, this is what gives him satisfaction in solving the mysteries. He is not a detective for selfish reasons, although I’m sure he prides himself in some ways. He is so dedicated to help the people involved in whatever mystery it is that he is solving, he isn’t doing it for himself. Like we discussed in class, him being a sort of superhero, in many of the stories we have read…he is very much a superhero to the people he helps. I think his passion and drive towards being a detective is his definition of fun even though it defines his life.

3. I think this is a good point, much like what I talked about in my blog post. I think in any detective story, there have to be moments in which the detective uses their skills and sees something that the average person cannot find on their own. The way the passage depicts Holmes analyzing the wooden cracks seems like one of these moments, considering not many people would search that deep into the room.