arnoldtI’m a member of the Biology department and the program in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology at Dickinson College, where I’m also serving as the chair of the Environmental Studies Department .  I’ve held a variety of positions at other institutions, including at the University of Queensland, the Smithsonian Institution, and the College of Charleston as well as the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  I am a broadly-trained plant biochemist who studies the natural products of plants and marine organisms.  Many of these serve as anti-microbials, herbivore deterrents, or chemical cues.  Some are potential new medicines or dietary supplements as well.  My research focuses on understanding how plants respond to stress by re-configuring primary and secondary metabolic pathways in a way that alters the production of these substances.  Then, understanding the role of these substances in nature and as potential drugs.  I am particularly interested in plant polyphenols that may inhibit protein misfolding in Alzheimer’s Disease, and related disorders