- Career diplomat stationed in England, China, the Netherlands, Canada
- Assistant Secretary of State, 1917
- Ambassador to Italy, 1936-1941
- Director of the OSS in London in 1942 until appointed Roosevelt’s personal representative to India on October 31, 1942 until FDR accepted his resignation on March 17, 1945
Online Reference Sources
Ventures in Diplomacy. Boston: Beacon Press, 1952.
Papers, Harvard University
- Hess does not believe the Phillips papers add much substantial information (189)
Reminiscences of William Phillips: oral history, 1951, Columbia University.