We’re All Tryin’ to Figure Out if We’re —.

I’m glad you filled in the blank, but are you?

Author of Brokeback Mountain, Edna Ann Proulx, is begging something of us as readers. I propose that the argument woven throughout the text is the internalization of fear, in this case, queer fear. By saying this, I want to outwardly state that my definition of “queer fear” is not homophobia. Rather, “queer fear” coins itself as a moment of dread felt by someone who may or may not identity as queer themselves. And I hear the sigh already, “okay babes, the main characters in Brokeback Mountain never call themselves gay, why is that a big deal”? And to that I say, “exactly”.

Some textual points I would like to expand upon can easily be recognized starting as early as page fifteen. After Jack and Ennis have intimate and sensual sex, Ennis interjects “I’m not no queer”, to which Jack responds “Me neither. A one-shot thing. Nobody’s business but ours” (Proulx 15). I would like to propose that here, queer fear catches up with the reality of their situation. While having sex, Jack and Ennis are not exactly worried with being perceived as queer. However, once they have finished, outside societal pressures creep their way back into their consciousnesses. This happens again, four years later, after each have their own wife and kids, as well. After having sex (again, surprise!), Ennis again states, “You know, I was sittin up here all that time tryin to figure out if I was—? I know I ain’t” (Proulx 26). After stating this, he expands and says, “I mean here we both got wives and kids, right?” (Proulx 26). Ennis, in my reading, is controlled by the fear of being perceived as queer, which is jarring and gutting in its own right.

In Brokeback Mountain, I would argue that queer fear originates in social context, here being driven by the requirement to fit in socially. However for Ennis, the need to fit in socially derives from early childhood trauma, seeing Earl, killed for the notion of being queer (Proulx 29). This ultimately catches up and manifests itself more seriously in hearing Jack has passed away. Though Jack is never explicitly murdered, for Ennis, fear has now embedded itself so deeply, that he wholeheartedly believes that Jack was murdered.

This leads me back to my title. We’re all trying to figure out what we are, only if it fits though. We have an understanding of how we’re perceived, in the same breathe, we also have the ability to filter certain facets of our identities for what is most palatable for others. Some of us, for job interviews to look more presentable, but for some, driven by queer fear.

Hope I’m useful,

Jay Walker <3

2 thoughts on “We’re All Tryin’ to Figure Out if We’re —.”

1. I love your definition of queer fear, and more explicitly the social component driving this reaction. I can too very much relate to this fear plaguing different facets of my life, even though I proclaim my gayness proudly (or so I thought). I think what is important here is that the feeling of community in this case ‘fitting in’ helps us regard ourselves into where we can find a place. I find myself too often in situations where I should be unafraid to be unapologetically queer — but what remains is too many social stigmas in which anonymity helps me feels safe. All that it makes me wonder is, why do I care so much?

2. We might also consider the expectation to conform to gender roles as a part of your definition of Queer Fear. Typically there is an implied lack of gender conformity in Queerness whether one identifies as Cisgender or not. For Gay Men, feminity is associated with homosexuality. Which is considered an undesirable trait, especially for rugged mountain men like Jack and Ennis because society tells them they have to act a certain way, and perform specific actions.
    Thus, I would argue that in the case of Brokeback Mountain a struggle with Masculinity is also a critical part of Ennis’ fear.