Criticism and Audre Lorde

The lines that I chose were prom the power Hunger which stated “Even our intimacies are rigger with terror/ Quantify suffering?/ My guilt at least is open” (pg. 137). The first thing that stuck out to me about this essay was the fact that she dedicated this poem to Audre Lorde. Audre Lorde is someone that I love and appreciate so much because her works have played an integral part in the person that I have become personally and intellectually. The first line “even our terrors are rigged with terror” reminded me of one of the many themes that always come up in the work of Audre Lorde, which is this idea of genuinely vulnerable intimacy and communities between women.So often there are these attempts at female bonding and relationships, but event hose that we think are the most powerful are still flawed. It is not until we give up this need for power and accepting that we will be able to truly be ourselves with ourselves and others. The next of the poem says “Quantify suffering?’ which reminded me of the heterosexist, patriarchal society that we live in which both of these women, Lorde and Riche, so often speak out against. She is explaining the fact that the problems she going through are not the only problems, yet they are her problems and still exist nonetheless. The last line of my chosen stanza  says “My guilt is at least open.” I think that in this line she is referring some of the privileges that some people have over other people. Since she dedicated this piece to Audre Lorde, she may be talking about the privileges that cisgendered, heterosexual white woman possess. I think these lines reshape the idea of language and thought by acknowledging issues that are in certain spaces that are supposed to be protective, like the door frame. For instance, a supposed safe and healthy space for women to exist is created, but the space is only safe and healthy for able bodied white women. These lines are important for my understanding of the reshaping of ideas and language because it exists to bring light to specific issues and then offer some solutions.

3 thoughts on “Criticism and Audre Lorde”

1. I very much agree with your allusion to “The Fact of a Doorframe.” I feel as if you are very correct- both pieces aim to exemplify the idea of safe spaces, yet differentiate between inclusivity and those spaces, such as that of a doorframe, only large enough to hold a few, such as those of privilege. In comparison to TFoaD, “as Makeba sings/ a courage-song for warriors” even further makes me feel as if while Rich is identify the oppression all women face, she is also making it clear that we face it on different terms, in this case race/ethnicity (Rich 131). I feel your analysis of placing the two poems in contrasting comparison was a very good idea, as it did allow me to further understand Rich’s writing and her perspectives on different bodies. Excellent work! 🙂

2. I also loved that Rich dedicated this poem to Audre Lorde. Two women with similar but different struggles allows the reader to get a sense of their own privilege. I think that Rich dedicates the poem to Lorde to prove a point. She wants more representation towards people who don’t have that privilege. I also liked how the author of this post allows the reader to see the similarities and differences between both Lorde and Rich.

3. I think your interpretation of this stanza is thoughtful and interesting. The terror happens not once but several times, at different layers. Even the terrors are also victims of terrors. Even when a safe place is created to defense from terrorism, that place is not yet home for people regardless of their background. This vicious circle alarms us that more work needed to be done to set free all the victims and the mistreated people.