Rebuilding the Fallen

‘All things fall and are built again

And those that build them again are gay’ (30).

I found it rather interesting that the author chose this section or rather these two lines from “Lapis Lazuli” by William Butler Yeats to include in this novel. Although, this quote is not directly from Winterson herself, I found that these lines directly related to the story. My interpretation of these lines in the context of this novel is that the “things” that have fallen represent the LGBTQ community. These members fall because of the ridicule, disrespect, and hate that they receive from society.   For example, as we saw in the “It Gets Better” videos there were several common similarities in the different coming out stories. These people were all made fun of, judged, and unhappy. This was their “fall,” however, they “built themselves again” by experiencing these common aspects essential to “Coming Out Narratives,” like the ones we had discussed in class. For example in these narratives they go through steps such as re-introducing themselves, realizing that they were different, and coming out. I know that William Butler Yeats intended to have the meaning of gay as happiness, but in this context I think that Winterson wants the reader to see that those who must “build themselves again” or transform themselves are members of the LGBTQ community. Looking at the greater scheme of the novel as a whole, I believe Winterson’s message is that members of the LGBTQ community do not have it easy, however, they can build themselves again and be happy.

Winterson includes these lines on page 30, so fairly early in the novel. I think this purpose is a way for the reader to foreshadow that the main character, Jeanette, over the course of the novel is going to struggle and fall, however, will find herself despite her strict family upbringing.   As I’ve been getting further into the novel, I have found support for my conclusion. For example, Jeanette faces struggles in school. It is obvious that she is different from the other students and misunderstood by her teacher. Mrs. Virtue criticizes her artwork because she only used 3 colors while the rest of the class used 4. This shows her deviance from the “normal,” however; Jeanette tries to defend her artwork, which is a way of defending herself to the Mrs. Virtue.

3 thoughts on “Rebuilding the Fallen”

1. I really liked this analysis on the William Butler Yeats’ quote and specifically the word play Winterson uses with the term ‘gay’. I think it was incredibly significant that Winterson included the quote here to twist it into becoming a sort of reclamation. The relationship this passage has with the It Gets Better project is also very apparent, and I think another thing to point out is that aside from queer people acknowledging that they’re different- a big way that their humanity is rebuilt is by finding support through each other, which was actually my first thought when interpreting this passage.

2. On Behalf of Plath:

Interesting analysis. I’d like to focus on the earliest part of your description in discussing the usage of the word “gay” and how both Yeats and Winterson use it. I feel as if, specifically in the lines you’ve cited, “gay” is meant to shock the reader in the beginning by making the statement, essentially, that ‘gay people are strong.’ But after lingering on the text, I am curious about flipping the meaning to “strong people are gay”, thus assuming that gay means a sense of joy, and those who rebuild are both gay in the sense that they are part of the LGBTQ+ community but also gay in the sense that they are happy and proud of the accomplishments of said community. I may be wrong, I just felt as if the terms holds two meanings.

3. I like that you picked this quote because I think it is very important to the novel as a whole. I do agree that it kind of serves as a foreshadow. But, I also think that it is much deeper. I think that going along with what you said with part of the Coming Out Narratives, there is this notion that the individual has “fallen” or become deviant from society. I also think it speaks to the resilience that people have to muster from their experiences and oppression. Because they have been shut out, ignored, and invalidated by society they have built a thick skin and created a new way to see live. They have a difference lens on life and due to this unique perspective, they are able to build things back up. Some people lose everything and are left with nothing when they go against societal norms and they have to learn to build things for themselves. Only those that have fallen understand what it is like and are able to see new ways to re-build things.