This is our meringue cookie recipe, with our steps and ingredients fully written out!
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 3. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites, and beat on medium speed until foamy.
- 4. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- 5. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag. If you have one available, insert a #32 star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 1 inch diameter cookies 2 inches apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 6. Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven; leave meringues in oven 1 hour (leave oven door closed). Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets.
This recipe makes approx. 5 dozen meringue cookies depending on the size. Each cookie is about 10 calories, making the serving size around 5 cookies, give or take. To store the cookies, store them in an airtight container at room temperature and enjoy whenever you want!