Even a simple muffin recipe has an enormous amount of science involved. Click here to learn the chemistry occurring in this muffin recipe.
This recipe can be varied by using different leavening agents.
Click here for a summary using different leavening agents. (Clicking this link leads to an external website. You will need to use the back arrow to return to this Food Blog.)
Click on the replacement leavening agent below to learn about the results. Click here to see a pictures of the adapted muffins.
Leavening agent Baking Soda with vinegar added
- Liquid Ingredients
- Leavening Agents
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Place a muffin liner in each of the cups in the muffin pan.
- To the larger bowl, combine the dry ingredients: all purpose flour, salt, and sugar. Include the dry leavening agent, baking powder. If using another leavening agent, see theappropriate link above about the adjustments to make.
- To the smaller bowl, combine the liquid ingredients: oil, egg, milk, and warm water.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Quickly mix the ingredients together, counting exactly 20 stirs. Never mix the muffin batter until smooth. See above for a link explaining why.
- Fill each muffin liner 2/3 full with the batter.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until done.
Cite the source of your recipe here. Trying something to see if it works. May not