The principle of common but differentiated responsibilities was interpreted as Annex II countries did not have any binding and quantified GHG reduction goals, but instead, the whole burden fell onto Annex I countries. However, Annex I countries wanted binding reduction target for not only themselves, but also fast growing Annex II countries, which was the reason that Annex I countries never really fulfilled their promise of proving Annex II countries with necessary financial and technology assistance. As climate change problem has become more and more exigent and pressing, Annex II countries have reiterated their posision many times that they hope Annex I countries could fulfill their promise. Annex II countries are not able to tackle the issue by themselves so that they need Annex I countries’ help.

Some developing countries, most of them are facing huge threat of climate change, have drafted a declaration wishing the draw attention to those places who are the most vulnerable ones when facing adverse climate impacts. Expectations for both developed countries and themselves are stated in the declaration.
Fresh Demands From “Front-Line States” in Climate Fight 

US president Obama is currently visiting China. At the same time, China is suffering from extremely unusual snows storms in most parts of the country that has already caused many deaths. Climate change is real, urgent, and life threatening. I am curious if this unaccustomed weather will have any affect on China’s position. As two world’s largest GHG emitters, Obama has said: “unless both of our countries are willing to take critical steps in dealing this issue, we will not be able to resolve it.” During the talk between the US and China presidents, both of them have expressed their willingness to cooperate and to work on clean-energy projects.

We are hoping to see developed countries, especially United States, could take the lead in the tackling the issue. And in the coming Copenhagen conference, the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities will get better defined that meets the interest of both Annex I and Annex II countries.

Tags: ,