Tyler Doesn’t Know (Scotty Doesn’t Know parody)

Upon her arrival at the Paradise Alms home, Mala Ramchandin is placed into the care of Nurse Tyler. She does not speak, she does not eat. In fact, the only sounds that emit from Miss Ramchandin are imitations of animals. Eventually, Tyler’s presence is accepted by Mala and he declares himself as her storyteller. “…and for all the scant attention paid my presence, I am the one who ended up knowing the truth, the whole truth every significant and insignificant bit of it” (47).

How can Tyler know the truth without knowing Asha’s side of the story?

He yearns for Asha, “Asha Ramchandin, Asha Ramchandin, Asha Ramchandin. In quiet moments after a long day caring for your sister, when I would rather lie in my bed in the nurses’ quarter and have my mind lie fallow, your name repeats itself mantra-like in my head. At night I fall asleep clinging to the hope that you are happy and well, and you would soon know that it is now safe to return to paradise” (90). Tyler is well aware that he can never know everything but he has to make his own truth, to believe that Asha is happy and well, in order to make peace with the Ramchandin’s story.

2 thoughts on “Tyler Doesn’t Know (Scotty Doesn’t Know parody)”

1. It is interesting to note that Tyler feels that he can gain Asha’s trust. Why do you think they grow to trust each other, especially given the fact that in the beginning, she barely speaks. What changes in their relationship which grows between the two? Does Tylers insecurity about his own identity relate to her past?

2. I definitely think that in order or Tyler to fully content he imagines Asha being happy and well off. I think that the fact that he will never truly know what is going on in Mala’s head makes him think that way. It is hard when you’re trying to figure someone out but you just can’t seem to get them let their walls down. Eventually after trying so hard you just go off assumption and the way you think they are.