Trauma and Storytelling: A “Re-Ordering” of Reality

In an interview, Shani Mootoo describes how writing can serve as an escape from trauma by “re-ordering” lived experiences (110). This “re-ordering” of experiences in fictional worlds grants her “permission” to simply exist in the world, away from the pressures and material results (like abuse) of marginalization and oppression (110).

We have discussed in class how perspective and location impact how we view the world, and I think this relates to how Mootoo uses lived experience to inform her stories. While these stories are fiction, they embody some truth because they are a re-telling of reality from a particular perspective or location. In a sense, this “fiction” could technically be another version of reality, just through a different lens.

I see this represented in the show Our Flag Means Death, which fictionalizes the historical figures Stede Bonnet (The Gentleman Pirate) and Edward Teach (Blackbeard)–two pirates from the early 1700s. The show places their story in a world where their queerness is not “othered,” granting them “permission,” as Mootoo puts it, to simply exist as they navegate the world as queer men (110). The show’s writers, then, “re-order” the world in order to explore the relationship that forms between Stede and Ed without homophobia (internal or external) as the conflict. Moreover, not only is the show itself a “re-ordering” of events, but Ed also engages in what Mootoo describes about writing and storytelling as a means of coping with trauma.

In episode 6, Ed tells the crew the story about the time he saw the Kraken, a mythical sea monster, kill his father. But later, he admits to Stede that it was not in fact the Kraken, but he who had killed his father after witnessing him commit an act of domestic abuse against his mother. In a sense, although he added some mythical elements to his story, he “re-ordered” what happened in order to disassociate from the trauma of having killed someone, let alone his father, and of having been witness to domestic violence at a young age. I think this moment also connects to Mala’s story in Cereus Blooms at Night in how she kills her father in a moment of fear and in response to sexual violence, but then separates this memory from her childhood self Pohpoh, establishing a new story within her own life to protect herself from the trauma she has suffered.

In revealing to Stede what happened in his past, Ed also admits that despite the legacy of violence and aggression that surrounds Blackbeard—the performance Ed puts on to emulate the image of a ruthless pirate—he has never actually killed anyone else. Instead, his performance as Blackbeard shields him from the trauma of his childhood, and protects him from potentially traumatic experiences as a pirate in the present. Mala, too, attempts to shield herself from her trauma in how she separates her experiences from Pohpoh’s, “re-ordering” what happened to protect her younger self in her memories. I thought it was interesting that Ed’s and Mala’s storytelling “does not attempt to pulverize ‘bad,”’ as neither of them eliminate the traumatic experiences completely (Mootoo 110). Instead, they “re-order” their experiences in ways that allow them “permission” to exist, and to live even just a little less burdened by that trauma (Mootoo 110). Their respective versions of events are no less real than the events that occurred in their pasts. Rather, they use that past to inform how they navigate the present in order to keep themselves safe.

I am including the link to the scene where Ed reveals this to Stede, but content warning for domestic abuse and violence. The show is technically a rom com, but this moment is a bit heavy: https://youtu.be/hYVB-z3KnLA

One thought on “Trauma and Storytelling: A “Re-Ordering” of Reality”

1. I remember learning in therapy about this idea of trauma forcing you to re-order events. This can manifest in different ways, of course, depending on the source of the harm. For a relatively less extreme example of how trauma manifests, I had a coach in high school who used to ridicule me during practice quite often. While I’m sure he said other, less hurtful things to me as well, when I look back now it is mostly those hurtful comments that I remember because of the harmful effects they had on my self-esteem at the time, since they unfortunately imprinted on me far longer than anything else he told me. I wouldn’t call this phenomena a repression of memory, but I think it points to how the stories we tell can be influenced by the harms caused by our trauma. Mala’s memory was altered because she appeared to dissociate from her childhood self (for somewhat obvious reasons), while I had internalized my coach’s words so effectively that the perspective of my memories became twisted and I wondered whether I deserved his verbal abuse. Especially when it is subverting the common story structure of a novel, I think it’s a very nuanced way to realistically portray the effects of trauma, and I’m glad you pointed it out.

(While we’re discussing media properties, I also wanted to note that the The Owl House also has something like this where Luz remembers something that her mother said to her incorrectly. My comment is already pretty long though, so if anyone is curious here’s both versions.)

what happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Qk2cdkRwI
    what she remembers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8pHt476tY