the Piranesi nightmare

“Reason. I was caught in a Piranesi nightmare. The logical paths the proper steps led nowhere. My mind took me up tortuous staircases that opened into doors that opened into nothing.” (p.92)

The following text passage stroke me as very interesting when I read it, especially the mention of the “Piranesi nightmare”. There is a novel called Piranesi by Susanna Clarke, published in 2020, that I read last summer. It is set in a parallel world that is one endless house with an infinite number of staircases, halls and big rooms full of statues. The novel deals with various topics, among them being lost and finding oneself. After finishing the novel I did some research on Piranesi and found out that the novel was referring to the Italian Artist G. B. Piranesi, who, among other things, has produced a series with 16 prints called “Imaginary Prisons” in the 18th Century. It is also interesting, that WOTB is a lot older than Clarke’s novel Piranesi, which raises the question how Piranesi might shape newer interpretations of the mention of “Piranesi nightmare” in WOTB.

I see a reoccurring pattern in my chosen quote from WOTB, parts that can be grouped together, namely “Piranesi nightmare”, “steps leading nowhere” and “tortuous staircases opening into doors into nothing’”. All these parts have parallels to the novel Piranesi, where Piranesi, the main protagonist lives in this endless house with infinite rooms and staircases, leading to more rooms, but ultimately to “nothing”. They also resemble a labyrinth, a term that can also be associated with the artist Piranesi. The narrator feels lost in his own mind. This can also be connected to the very first word of the paragraph, “Reason”. It is interesting that the first sentence of the paragraph is just one word. Reason is a powerful word and can both mean an individual reason to do something as well as a greater, more general meaning and question of reason, almost philosophical as in “why do we do things in the way that we do them and why do we decide what we decide”.

What I am really trying to say here is that I think these lines are showing us how overthinking and analyzing can make us feel lost because we try to find a logical explanation for everything, when in reality, not every question has an answer. Reason gives us seemingly comfort, but actually it’s a nightmare, desperately trying to find an explanation for everything, thinking in complicated ways to make sense into things that aren’t supposed to make sense, just to frustratingly end up in “nothing” at the end. If we free ourselves from the urge to bring sense into everything, we free ourselves from this nightmare of a labyrinth, and thereby bring sense into it. The sense is that not everything can be explained with sense. Maybe the nameless narrator of WOTB also feel imprisoned by reason and his own mind.

This pattern of urge toward reason or explanation can also be seen in other parts of the novel, for example is the narrator trying to fight Louise’s cancer with reason, learning as much as they can about it. In the end though, cancer still does not completely make sense, since there often is no logical explanation as to when and why it develops in the body.

2 thoughts on “the Piranesi nightmare”

1. I really like your reading of this! I totally agree that the quote you pulled implies that overthinking can make one feel lost. It’s funny, I did not look up Piranesi, but I pictured that picture with the stairs that go upside down and sideways by MC Escher which I think conveys the same idea. It’s interesting to me that Winterson expands on this allusion with the next two sentences because she makes a lot of references in the novel that she doesn’t explain, so she must have really wanted the reader to understand this reference. Without looking it up, the reader still would have understood the gist of the allusion because of the following two sentences about the stairs and doorways.

2. I love that you brought in context for this quote! I didn’t really understand the reference when I first read it, but the imagery of the staircases was very clear. I am currently studying Piranesi’s works for my job, and I think the importance of perspective and scale in his work is also an interesting connection to Winterson’s writing. Your ideas about overthinking really made me think about the ways Piranesi often exaggerates certain aspects of his subjects in order to add a certain grandeur to the overall feel of the piece; perhaps in a way, this exaggeration is reflective of the ways we may try to idealize or over exaggerate situations in real life (both are habits the narrator frequently takes comfort in throughout the novel)