Morgan Field

The first day I arrived on campus I spent the majority of my time walking around and trying to find a familiar face from the few people I knew from accepted students day, or even to find someone who was interesting to me. The problem was that no one was outside. Morgan field was entirely empty. So I sat down in an Adirondack chair to read and relax and was invited to sit with a group of kids who I of course assumed were freshman as well. Little did I know they were actually mainly “townies” and a junior at Dickinson. As orientation progressed I found that everyone became more friendly and more students were outside playing frisbee or socializing. Whenever I walked by someone greetings and smiles were exchanged. It reminded me of a story my psychology teacher from high school told me about his college in Tennessee. He said that he always assumed girls were interested in him because of how friendly they acted to him. It wasn’t until later that he realized it was only southern hospitality.

I do not feel that was the case on Morgan field. At least all the freshman were still in the phase were everyone is friendly with each other because you never know who could be the person with the potential to become a close friend. As the upperclass mans had arrived Morgan field’s general air has changed to me. Although it  busier with more students studying and chatting outside it doesn’t have the same affect as the first few days. The older students tend to ignore the freshman and as we ourselves are slowly developing friendships we have become more selective in who we choose to talk with. Hopefully in a few more weeks it will transform into more of a community feel without so much segregation between freshman and the older students when they come appreciate us as people as apposed to the immature children they seem to view us as.