There is not a lack for misunderstandings between the French culture and American culture. One can find many situations every day that are rich with opportunity to make mistakes. Some days I think I make these mistakes less frequently, and other times, I have no more hope. Yes, perhaps that is a bit melodramatic, but welcome to my life!

At the start, even the smallest of cultural differences presented misunderstandings. For example, at the cafés that are so adored by the entire world and typically French, you have to, of course, pay. But how? Inside? Outside? Eventually you can figure it out. The real trick is how you tip. What percent? Is it necessary? As it turns out waiters are well paid in France and tipping is reserved for great service. One time, a friend and I went back to a restaurant because we were in disagreement with the cultural rules of tipping and felt bad that we didn’t leave a tip. The waitress was truly happy and told us that it truly wasn’t necessary.

Misunderstandings also come with language mistakes. I spent an evening with friends of a friend who were quite nice. It was pleasant, but I was the only anglophone there, so it was also a little tiring. “Alright,” I thought to myself, “I’m going to sleep. Wait, what is the more slang term for that? …Oh yeah, that’s it.” Needless to say, I was terribly incorrect. So, I said, “Thank you for the evening, I am going to sleep with you.” Even though this phrase was not coquettish before, today it indicates having sexual relations with someone. The sister of the guy to whom I directed this poor phrase, could not stop laughing. Finally, she explained that I wanted to use the reflexive of this verb, “put myself to sleep” to indicate that I was going to bed. After this incident, I quickly took my leave.

But all is well now. I have found a way to reduce misunderstandings! Change the language! Change the grammar! In my opinion, it is much easier. Last week, I was speaking with my host sister about her internships. She worked with retirees last year and this year with be working with people who have been clinically diagnosed as mentally unstable. As a psychology student, I know the word “fous” to indicate this group of people, but for some reason, I could not find the word. I mixed “fou” (masculine singular of “fous”) and “folle” (feminine singular) to say “foulle”. This word does not exist, but maybe we can change and develop the French language. Times change, no?

-Shelby Duncan