The Saint Stanislas School

The Saint Stanislas School

I began my semester in Toulouse impatient to discover the French education system. Because I would like to become a teacher, education is my passion. Before arriving to Toulouse, I had read books that explained education systems around the world, specifically in France, but this semester I had the opportunity to live in a system completely different from my own.

This semester I worked at Saint Stanislas, a private Catholic elementary school in the neighborhood of Carmes. Each week, I gave English courses to elementary students. The students with which I worked were four years old and eight years old. They were lively and full of energy. I observed that at Saint Stanislas the young students have much more time to play outside, to have fun, and to be independent than in the United States. The teachers give the students more freedom. They let the students fall, make mistakes, and learn by themselves that in life, even though one will inevitably fall, it is always possible to get up and continue.

When I first arrived at Saint Stanislas, I met the students in the recreation courtyard. There were students everywhere. They were running everywhere, crying loudly and the situation resembled a true chaos. The teachers were together near the door, talking to one another. Madame Tilly, the director of the school, introduced me to the teachers and then she left. Immediately, a small boy who was crying said, “Maitresse, Charles hit me on my elbow!” One of the teachers pushed the small boy aside and said, “Not now, go play Constantin.” A few minutes later, a girl approached us saying the same thing. Someone had hit her, but again, the teacher ignored her. At first, I found these interactions harsh and the teachers insensitive. In the United States, elementary teachers are always gentle and kind to their students. When a student cries, the American teacher takes care of them with care. I began to compare the two countries but then I realized that this comparison was not useful.

Comparisons between two cultures create massive generalizations that do not consider the individual factors of each person. These comparisons also reduce each culture down to stereotypes that are inaccurate. In this case at school, my comparison made me think that the teachers were mean or insensitive. After letting go of this comparison, I was able to see that in reality these women are truly kind and gentle. They love their students, but they also know that it is necessary to make sure they respect the rules so that the children can learn well. Even though their discipline seemed harsh still, I could not understand les complexities of the situation because I was still comparing France and the United States.

My students at Saint Stanislas were full of surprises. Each lesson gave me challenges and obstacles. In reality, I believe that even though my students have learned a lot because of me, it was the students who taught me. This experience allowed me to better understand the methodology of teaching but also to better understand the context in which these students learn every day. My experiences at Saint Stanislas and at the Institut Catholique de Toulouse have helped me appreciate the Americain education system but also have helped me to grow. For three years I have been learning to become a teacher. These experiences in France are invaluable because they contribute enormously to my professional development and my academic development, but more importantly they contribute enormously to my personal development and growth as a human being.

– Olivia Calcaterra

Some drawings from Olivia's students

Some drawings from Olivia’s students

The Saint Stanislas School

The Saint Stanislas School