Artist Review: Maggie Rogers

Review by Hannah Guy-Mozenter

If you have not yet listened to Maggie Rogers you’re doing something wrong. Rogers is an up-and-coming artist who’s sound is an eclectic mix of indie, folk, R&B and dance. Her tone is graceful, haunting, and intriguing, and her lyrics are beautiful yet relatable. Rogers grew up in Maryland, studied music at NYU and in France, and today resides in Brooklyn, NY. The 23 year olds’ first songAlaska, which she recorded in 2016, exists as Rogers’ claim to fame. Rogers wrote the song as homework for an NYU music school master-class, and she based the lyrics upon a hiking trip she took through the snowy wilderness. To her surprise, singer and producer Pharrell Williams attended the class the day Rogers shared her song. Williams immediately fell in love with Rogers’ soon to be hit, stating that he had “zero, zero, zero notes for that.” The piece is impeccably layered with melodic beats, syncopated taps and lyrics that take the listener on a journey. “I love music the most when it makes me feel human,” Rogers states, and I can say that Rogers’ music definitely makes me feel human, and very much alive. Recently Rogers released three new hits, Fallingwater, Give A Little, and Light On, all of which follow the similar instrumental/lyrical patterns of Alaska. If you are in the mood for some inspirational, calming, and fiery songs I do not hesitate to recommend listening to my favorite emerging female artist, Maggie Rogers.

Bookmark the permalink.