(image above) Michelle 2020, Triple chocolate muffins in a muffin tin, Brown Eyed Baker, accessed 4 May 2023, https://www.browneyedbaker.com/chocolate-chocolate-chunk-muffins/
I love muffins. My dad used to buy a triple chocolate chip muffin mix and make them all the time when I was in middle school. They would make me so happy, but then the grocery store near me stopped selling the mix. My dad hasn’t found the same muffin mix anywhere since. I’ve missed those muffins, so I decided that I wanted to learn how to make them and make them well. Baking is a complicated science. One change in the ingredients, temperature, or utensil and the whole chemistry of the baked goods changes.
If you would like to see the recipe at a glance, click here.
If you would like to learn about the chemistry of muffins, click here.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a muffin tin with liners.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl
- In a separate medium bowl, mix sugar, eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the dry-ingredient mixture into the wet-ingredient mixture. Mix these until combined.
- Get a small bowl of half the chocolate chips and some flour. Coat the chocolate chips with the flour and then shake off any excess flour.
- With a spatula, fold the flour-coated chocolate chips into the batter.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin pan(s).
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake 14 - 16 minutes.
Bibliography (1) C, C. Overmixing Muffins. CCC’s Curious Kitchen. https://cccscuriouskitchen.com/overmixing-muffins/(accessed 2023-02-16). (2) Tessier, A. P. 10 Best Baking Powder Substitutes. The Pioneer Woman. https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/cooking-tips -tutorials/g32461023/baking-powder-substitute/.(accessed 2023-02-16). (3) Ryan, M. What Eggs Do In Baking & How It Impacts Your Baked Goods. Food Above Gold. https://www.foodabovegold.com/what-eggs-do-in-baking/. (accessed 2023-02-16). (4) The Use of Sugar in Baking. Biscuit people. https://www.biscuitpeople.com/magazine/post/the-use-of-sufar-in -baking#:~:text=Sugarkeepsbakedgoodssoft. (accessed 2023-02-16). (5) Functions of Salt in Baking. https://opentextbc.ca/ingredients/chapter/functions-of-salt-in -baking/#:~:text=Salthasabindingor. (accessed 2023-02-16). (6) Baker Bettie. Function of Flour in Baking, Differences in Varieties of Flour | Baker Bettie. Baker Bettie. https://bakerbettie.com/varieties-flour/. (accessed 2023-02-16). (7) C, C. Oil in Muffins. CCC’s Curious Kitchen. https://cccscuriouskitchen.com/oil-in-muffins/. (accessed 2023-02-16). (8) Winnie. Triple Chocolate Muffins. Nourished Endeavors. https://nourishedendeavors.com/triple-chocolate-muffins/. (accessed 2023-01-26).