This route brings you out and back along the Letort Spring Run Nature Trail, which runs for approximately 2 miles south of Carlisle along the Letort Spring Run. This brings you along quieter Carlisle streets to the grounds of Lamberton Middle School, where Bedford Street dead-ends into a trail. Bear left immediately onto the Nature Trail and follow the creek under Interstate 81, through a limestone quarry to the trails end at South Spring Garden Street.
This is the place to go for a nice, quiet afternoon. You can see plenty of wildlife when on the trail: eagles, owls, woodpeckers, rainbow trout, turtles, brown water snakes, beavers, storks, and more! The water can be very cold, but is perfectly clear in most places.
This is a fairly easy and flat ride. There is no motor vehicle traffic on the trail.
- Start at the intersection of W High St. and S College St. and head south on S College St.
- Turn left onto W South Street. (at .22 mi)
- Turn right on S Bedford St. (at .75 mi)
- Follow to the dead end, and then get on the path that starts there. (at 1.17 mi)
- The path is about 2 miles long and ends at S Spring Garden St.
If you go out back it will be just over 6 miles.