This route takes you to one of the most beautiful overlooks on South Mountain, Kings Gap Environmental Education Center. This route is about 25 miles out and back.
- Starting at the intersection of W High St. and S College St., head south on S College St.
- Turn right onto Walnut Bottom Road. (at .56 mi)
- Pass under I-81 and remain on Walnut Bottom (PA 465 South) for approximately 7 miles. At the intersection with Old York Rd. (PA 174), turn left. (at 7.40 mi)
- Immediately remain straight on Montsera Rd. DON’T TURN LEFT ONTO OLD YORK RD. (PA 174 EAST). (at 7.43 mi)
- Follow Montsera across the Norfolk Southern tracks and the Yellow Breeches Creek to the T-intersection with Pine Dr. Turn right onto Pine Dr. (at 8.80 mi)
- Immediately left onto the Kings Gap Access Road.(at 8.58 mi)
- You’ll see the Kings Gap sign when you come to Pine Dr. Follow this access road up the mountain (follow signs for Environmental Center & Mansion). Along the access road, you can (aptly) access many of the park’s trails, or continue to the top. At the top, you will find the grandiose Kings Gap Mansion and its breathtaking grounds and views. (at 12.4 mi)
- Enjoy this area and return along the same route.
Caution is advised to riders traveling on Walnut Bottom Rd. near I-81 during rush hour, as well as riders crossing the Norfolk Southern tracks on Montsera Rd. Otherwise enjoy the unbelievable views both north into the valley and south into South Mountain.