Interdependence Reflection- Julz

The idea of interdependence calls attention to the choices we do/do not make by creating a sense of self-awareness. To be interdependent, and realize to that and be thankful for all the people and things that go into what you enjoy, one has to be aware. While the feeling of independence feels good, I am sure we all felt that going to college and being away from home and living on our own for an extended period, but everyone is in some way interdependent. With the college example, sure one may feel independent being away from home, but then one still creates their own community they live in and become dependent on. That is what makes interdependence so special in a way, and why many people take it for granted.

I do and do not see myself as a product of interdependence. I think as I get “older and wiser” I definitely do, from the products I eat to the amenities I enjoy (laptop, internet, running water, etc.etc.etc) to the people I am surrounded by, I very much see myself as a product of interdependence. I think unless you are 100% “off the grid”(no running water, no electricity, a house you built yourself with trees you cut down yourself, every single thing in your home made by you, all the food that you eat is because you physically did the work and brought it to the table, etc.),  you almost have to consider yourself interdependent, whether that be on a person or a specific thing.

One thought on “Interdependence Reflection- Julz

1. Looking forward to the next steps for you after “you almost have to consider yourself interdependent, whether that be on a person or a specific thing.” Then what do you do with that realization?