Concert Review – Battle Beast @ Baltimore Soundstage, 6/1/2024

Battle Beast at Baltimore Soundstage

I started off my summer concert series with a bang. On June 1st, 2024, Finnish power metal band Battle Beast graced the city of Baltimore. 

This summer, with support from the Dutch metal band Blackbriar, Battle Beast kicked off their long-awaited Circus of Doom Over North America tour, celebrating the release of the titular album in 2022. With 20 different shows in 20 different cities, Battle Beast sure left their mark on America. I saw them at the wonderful Baltimore Soundstage, a relatively small but quality venue down the street from the (now closing) Rams Head Live. Rest in peace Rams Head, you will be missed.  

I don’t think I realized how many die-hard Battle Beast fans there were in the US, let alone Baltimore. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised by the fact that nearly everyone there loved the band, as your casual concert goer probably wouldn’t pay money to see Finnish people sing about vikings and evil circuses. I first discovered Battle Beast from their cover of Powerwolf’s “Resurrection by Erection” (sorry to Powerwolf fans, but it’s better than the original) and quickly became obsessed with the rest of their music. So, when I saw that they were playing just 35 minutes away from me, I knew I had to go. And that I had to drag my dad with me. 

Blackbriar, opening for Battle Beast at Baltimore Soundstage.

The openers, Blackbriar, were everything I expected from an opening band. A little shy, a little mellow, but very talented. I only knew one or two of their songs, but seeing them perform gave me a new appreciation for their music. 

Before Battle Beast came on, you knew they were about to blow the roof off the venue. The pure excitement and anticipation in the room suggested that I was going to leave the concert without my voice. 

Battle Beast emulates everything that rocks about power metal; the theatricality, the mightiness, and the energy. Never once did any of the band slow down; they were performing at 100% the entire time. And the audience certainly matched this energy, much to the delight of the band. At one point, the lead vocalist Noora Louhimo teared up as the crowd gave her a round of grateful applause that stretched on for minutes. In the many concerts I’ve been to, it’s rare to witness a band and audience have such a powerful appreciation for one another. 

And perhaps the most successful aspect of the night was my dad’s proud declaration that he was now a Battle Beast fan. 

If Battle Beast is ever at a venue near you, I highly suggest you go check them out. Their music is a completely different experience live–an experience that will knock your socks off.

Nina Grafton is a Dickinson student whose favorite pastime is going to concerts. You can listen to her show, Everyday Headbangers, on Wednesdays from 6-7 PM.

Bookmark the permalink.