The supermarket chain GIANT began in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania with a small butcher shop known as the Carlisle Meat Market. In 1936, David Javitch, one of the two men who worked in the butcher shop, bought a store in Lewistown, PA and named it GIANT Shopping Food Center. An innovative business for its era, GIANT stocked perishable and dry goods products in the same market. By 1968, the 9th location of GIANT Shopping Food Center had opened in Harrisburg, PA. After 83 years of business, GIANT’s Distribution Center sill operates out of its Carlisle hometown.
To read more about GIANT’s history, go here