Interdependence Reflection- Anika

One example of a choice I make that could affect others is the food I decide to purchase that day. The food I choose directly affects who the money I used to purchase the food goes to. On the other hand, the food available affects the choices of food I have to pick from. This can apply to many economic purchases, such as getting gas for my car and buying clothes and whether I decide to purchase new or thrifted clothes. Another example could be social, with whom I choose to interact that day. Again, who chooses to interact with me can affect me as well. In the context of school, when I decide to turn my work in could affect my professors and when they are able to grade my work. In my everyday life, whether or not I am choosing to live as a conscious and global citizen can affect the community around me. Most, if not all, of these examples can also work in reverse and other people’s choices can affect me. Therefore, it is important to also recognize the privilege one can have in making these choices and who or what these choices can affect. I most definitely see myself as a “product of interdependence” because every day so many relationships between people and things are mutually dependent in order to gain what we need to survive. In our society, interdependence is inevitable and we would not survive or exist without the other people, places, or things that we have mutually dependent relationships with.

One thought on “Interdependence Reflection- Anika

1. We will get to see how some of the decisions play out in our workshop on sustainability @Anika! Thanks for this.