Diversity, Equity, Inclusion

If I found myself in a situation where I had to immigrate to another country, it would probably be to Canada, considering that I could drive through the border instead of having to deal with an airport, and since the only language I speak reliably is English, it would probably be the most obvious choice if I were in a position that I had to think quickly.

I would be in the fortunate enough position that I can speak one of the country’s mother tongues, so i would actually probably be of the agent identity group in that situation. Overall (and very fortunately), my identity as a white, cisgender, middle-class individual with an educated background would make me an agent identity in most cases. I might be in somewhat of a target identity as an American, especially and American from the Deep South, in another country due to assumptions people might make about me, but I don’t think that kind of target identity would lead to really harmful prejudices. Hopefully, as well, my past experiences working in food service would mean that I could get some kind of job to keep me financially stable in a new environment.

Be the first to reply