Tag: Ikea

Podcast Nooks Remodeled!


       Over the course of alumni weekend, the media center has remodeled the podcast nooks with new desks from Ikea, bringing a new look, along with a brand new recording set-up. Each podcast nook is equipped with new speakers, bass traps, and condenser mics. They also each have new guitar stands for anyone who brings in a guitar to play in the nooks. This new set-up will optimize the recording experience with easy-to-use speakers that allow you to not only control the output volume, but also control the input volume of any mic connected to them. They also have dials that can control the bass and treble in any sound that’s being listened to or recorded. There are also adjustable arms for the mics,which record in stereo. The new bass traps will help absorb excess sound which provides for higher sound quality. The rooms are perfect for working on group or individual projects that require higher sound quality and minimal interference.

Table Brackets


This week, as we move things around and rearrange the spaces here at the media center, I have taken on the job of designing and 3D printing table brackets/stoppers for the table. This will allow us to run the cables we use for the equipment behind the tables and they will keep the cables from getting mashed up against the wall. The process for this was simple and with my knowledge and experience with AutoCAD, I was able to design and print them in no time (well, in the many hours it took to print them).



Designing the BracketsAutoCAD 2014ScreenSnapz001

As I said, the design for the brackets were fairly easy. Basically, all I had to do was measure the thickness of all the tables we were putting brackets on. Here at the media center, we have two types of tables, Gladiator and Ikea. Once I got the measurements for the tables. I went into the AutoCAD program and drew the bracket designs using three 3D boxes. Each bracket was going to have one leg that was longer than the other so that the bracket would latch firmly on the table. One problem that I had when finishing the design was making sure all the boxes were flush so that the printer would be able to print them correctly. However, I found out that all I had to do was use the align tool and everything would be okay.

Printing the BracketsIMAG0051

Once I was finished designing the brackets, I would export the design file to an .stl file, which could be used in the Makerbot program, which is the program used to sync with the printer. Once I loaded the files up in the Makerbot program, I could set up the print layout and how many brackets I wanted to print at once. Once I was done doing that, I would export that print file to a USB Memory Stick that I would then plug into the printer. After that, bingo, I was printing functional brackets for our tables.



Now we didn’t do all this the first try, we did a lot of experimentation with different designs and tried to print using our old 3D printer. But as Thomas Edison once said, “I haven’t failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work”.


© 2024 Dickinson College Media Center

Academic Technology services: GIS | Media Center | Language Exchange

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑