A Constant Kitchen

apple.jpg

We like to be ready to prepare a meal at any given time.

Maybe we won’t “cook” per se, but we like to be apply to slice a loaf of bread, saute some vegetables and serve up some hummus or tapenade. Eating out doesn’t always mean eating in a restaurant. It could mean purchasing some goods from a farmer’s market or store, or bringing them along with you, and serving them outside, in creative ways. 

And so – to be ready for this – we carry supplies with us. I have a red basket (similar to this one) that was found a thrift store. In that we can generally keep that basic tools needed for preparing a meal. 

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 12.30.16 PM.png

29wmt-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Metal Containers

We both of have one of these and we both use them daily. For breakfast, both Tim and I make soaked oats in them. I pack my lunch in them, and toss a regular kitchen spoon in my backpack too (but a set of these would be nice). 

Mason Jars

Yes, ok. It’s pretty hipster of us, but mason jars are just so dang useful. They can be storage containers. They can be water jugs. The can be vases. They can be used in place of bowls. 

opplanet-winchester-brass-knife-leather-sheath-22-41323.jpg

Knives

We like knives. Neither of ours are very sharp, but they’re handy. Tim has one of these. Mine didn’t cost a dime. I snatched it from the lost and found at the cafe where we work. I keep a bread knife in my red basket too. 

A handful of other utensils comes in handy too. 

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 2.30.49 PM.png

Cutting Board

I keep a cutting board stored in my basket. This little contraption looks pretty sweet too.

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 2.47.32 PM.png

Rocket Stove

And for heating needs, a rocket stove comes in handy. It can fit in a pocket, basically. Above is the model Tim has, and it’s served us well. However, I’d really like to get my hands on one of these someday.

It’s good to have a small, light weight skillet to use atop the rocket stove, or a tea kettle, or metal containers like the ones above.

A sampling of simple meals prepared with these supplies:

• Slices of tomato and avocado, hummus, goat cheese and crusty bread.
  • Walnut butter sandwiches, warmed ginger carrot soup, tomato salad with dried parsley
  • Grilled cheese with goat manchego and tomato
  • Oatmeal and hot tea (over a fire or a rocket stove)

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 2.58.00 PM.png

This entry was posted in Student Blog Project 2013 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.