I Woke Up Late So This Is What I Ate

I’ve stated this before, but I’m going to have to state it again…brunch/ breakfast, whatever you prefer to call it is my favorite meal of the day. I always find that the options can be endless. Have some Greek yogurt with granola and berries, or an omelet with an assortment of vegetables wedged into it, it’s up to you on what you want to eat.

So, I might have woken up a little late one day over break (12:00 PM, judge me), and went straight into my brunching mode. I was feeling more adventurous though, no pancakes, waffles, or plain eggs and omelets, this brunching meal was going to be an avocado toast. I’m a huge fan of avocado. Avocado by itself is a great source of fiber, potassium, and vitamin C. Half an avocado has approximately 160 calories, and the fats that the avocado contains are all healthy.

But lets be real here, avocados are almost impossible to get just right. One day it’s too hard and suddenly the next day it’s way to soft and mushy for you to consume. I’m unsure if I’d prefer a super mushy avocado or a relatively hard one. Unfortunately, I was too set on the avocado toast idea for brunch that the avocado that I cut opened could have used another day to ripen more. So, I cut the avocado in half and put one half in a zippy bag and into the fridge it went as it was my attempt to save that half for another time.

I got out 2 small pieces of whole grain bread and while I cut up half of the avocado, the bread went into the toaster. There’s something quite satisfying about bighting into toast and hearing that crunch as your teeth bite down into the toast.

Once the bread was lightly toasted, and the avocado was taken out of it’s skin and cut into small pieces, I spread the avocado across the toast. Adding a little more flavor to this creation, I sprinkled red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. It was overall a great brunch and very satisfying.

Recipe:

-Half an avocado

-Bread (any kind you prefer)

-Red pepper flakes

-Salt

-Berries to add to the meal

Click to view slideshow.

This entry was posted in Student Blog Project 2013 and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.