An All spoilers blog

I want to create an all spoilers blog to talk about movies I’ve seen without holding back any information. I don’t want to write about what I liked and what I didn’t like, but why it was a good movie or a bad movie. I want to look at things like themes, characterization, and the nitty-gritty aspects of plot to better understand what makes a good movie and how to make a good movie.

My main inspiration for my blog comes from a Tumblr and a YouTube channel called CriticalHit. CriticalHit is made by two people, who picked apart different elements of the film, with a strong ;emphasis on story, -/pto understand why they did or didn’t like it. What I like about their way of critiquing movies that I want to incorporate into my blog is, that they are always up front about the standards. An example being, that they explain that the audience needs to be invested in the characters so that when they succeed or fail the audience is affected. Then they will explain why the movie they’re reviewing was enjoyable or not because of that standard. What I most want to copy from them is how they make their posts feel more like a conversation than a review. They ask for comments with opposing ideas, and frequently bring up other interpretations that they think may be valid. By asking the viewer to question what their saying, both in understand the content and literally in comments they talk about esoteric things like craft conversational instead of like a lecture or review.

Another blog that I’m inspired by is every frame a paint which posts videos based around an actor, a director, or sometimes an idea that analyse the film form, i.e. the pictures and the sound, of several films. I think often in film reviews not a lot of attention is paid to form, often because it’s hard to notice on the first viewing, but it has a huge effect on the audience. I want talk about all of the aspect that go into a movie, not just the textual ones. Design wise, Every Frame it has a style I want to replicate. The post on the home page are  simply a collection of screen shots pertaining to that post and the title of the post, which are a link to the actual content. I want my readers to only read the posts that they choose because spoilers can be serious to some people. I think visually this is a gorgeous and simplistic way of teasing a film post without giving away any content.

I hope to synthesis the style of film analysis that each blog performs to analysis all part of films, even the spoilers, in the blog I am going to write.

This entry was posted in Project Proposal. Bookmark the permalink.