Cumberland County Historical Society

Our visit to the Cumberland County Historical Society has proved quite useful in directing me in the path to a potential research project. In looking at some of the historically Black church histories here in Carlisle, I discovered that West St. A.M.E. Zion Church was a stop on the Underground Railroad, and so too was Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church. Some prominent African American Underground Railroad conductors in the area were John hunter, Richard Johnston, James Jones, John Peck, and William Webb. It will be interesting to find out if there are any descendants or tales that anyone in the town remembers about any of these men.

-Y.M.W.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Cumberland County Historical Society

1. melissa says:

I grew up in a house at 31 east louther st. in Carlisle pa. The home was owned by Mrs. Ludt, son John Ludt. The rental townhouse had a dirt basement with an opening to the underground railroad. The tunnel was littered with ceramic jugs, trash and various ceramicware used possibly for food storage.
    I took one of the jugs to school in the last 70’s and was told it was indeed a eramic storage jar, for vinegar or possibly oil.
    This is all I know, but maybe you can go see this tunnel.

2. William Ludt Jr. says:

My family (Ludt surname) lived in the Carlisle area from the mid-1800’s (John Ludt/Sophia Dietch emigrated from Prussia). I would be most interested in any information on the property mentioned.