Sustainability

After attending last week’s workshop on sustainability, I now have a better understanding of what sustainability really means. I thought that sustainability was just protecting future generations and protecting the environment in green and ethical ways for all. But after some thought, sustainability refers to protecting the environment, but also, the following: life below water, ending hunger, gender equality, good health and well-being, clean water and sanitation, climate action, etc. The picture that stood out to me the most was the sign that stated word for word, “Simplify Your Life”. This just stood out to me the most because it just stated what we should all do to live sustainably. If we all simplify our lives, then we will live with fewer carbon emissions and leave a better world for future generations. Living simpler would include biking and walking instead of using your car or public transportation, using a metal reusable water bottle instead of disposable plastic ones which pollute the earth, and lowering your use of disposable products including paper plates, paper napkins, Styrofoam, plastic utensils, plastic cups, plastic wrapping and other like products. In my own words, a definition of sustainability is living a simpler life in all areas of your life, including health and well-being, to protect the future generations and all those who live around us preserving the variety of natural resources for people to meet their needs. This workshop gave me a better view of sustainability and how I can show my peers and family.

Be the first to reply