Foodie & Fashion (FF)

I’m a foodie. Not an extreme foodie who acts pretentious when it comes to food, but someone who loves a good meal. My interest in this topic probably sparked when I was born, but that’s also the case for everyone because who doesn’t not like to eat. This interested sprouted all thanks to my parents. As a seven year old I had my first bite of sushi and would continuously experience and take risks with food. Instead of wanting mac n’ cheese for dinner, I would lean more towards a tender steak. The family vacations added to the adventure as I even ate pizza from Paris that had hummus and eggplant on it. It might have looked like throw up, but definitely tasted like heaven. It also adds that during Jewish holidays, family members would be cooking homemade recipes that my great grandma passed on.

385318_584520184896777_893184359_n

So then I though if I love food, because again, who doesn’t, then why not base a section of my blog around it. It would consist of recipes, reviews, pictures, and even videos. I’ve found in today’s digital age that photographs and videos make blogs seem more appealing. Although I do not have a primary food blog that I visit daily, I came across a blog called 80 Breakfasts http://80breakfasts.blogspot.com/. This blog gives great reviews and descriptions of good, quality foods and with that there’s a picture that comes with every post. The pictures are high quality photos that will make your mouth start to water. The website is exactly what a food blog should look like. Bright happy colors that make you want to dive into the information that the blog may have for you. There are posts at least once a week, which would also be similar to what I would do including it can be hard to find a quality recipe. I would also make posts based on the season. If I come across a recipe that’s great for the summer, I would just create a queu to post when summer is approaching.

Not only would my blog be food oriented but it would also consists of some fashion and style commentary. The style section of my blog would be picture oriented. Basing it off of one of my favorite fashion blogs, http://www.manrepeller.com/ this blog is up to date and every short article on it also comes with beautiful pictures of whatever fashion topics they’re writing about. I would update the style section of the blog once a week as well. Adding any current fashion news and styles to look out for. I love scrolling through photos of current fashion trends so why not bring that to my blog.

With bringing things to my blog, according to Brian Carroll in “Writing for Digital Media”, stated, “In addition, writing in a conversational tone, one not unlike that used for email, leverages online’s capacity for interpersonal communication, or communication very different and much more personal than mass media deliver.” As Carroll mentions to have a more conversational voice in blog writing, this might come to be a struggle for me. Although I try to add voice into my blog writing, I’ve become so used to writing in a formal tone that it will take time to switch to writing in a more conversational tone.

I’m also hopeful that this blog will be easy to share with others. There’s only one way to get your blog out, and that’s sharing through social media.

This entry was posted in Archives, Project Proposal. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Foodie & Fashion (FF)

1. gannonc says:

I think this sounds like an awesome blog idea! I like that you are incorporating two things that normall aren’t, but are appreciated by many. I think that a conversational and casual tone is key to use here because you will not be writing paragraphs of information or observations about dense subjects. Have you thought about making any of the items that you post and telling readers how they turn out? The 80’s food blog is very inviting and really does have some great pictures! But if a “foodie” were to try them out would they be hard to make? Easy? Would the food turn out anything like the picture? I think you’re off to a great start and certainly already have a follower!

2. Hope Boyer says:

I can already tell that I’m going to become hungry every time I read your blog! It’s great that food has a special place in your heart that you will be able to write from. I think when it comes to food blogs, it is important to be passionate about what you are writing about, and not just describing food from an objective perspective. Maybe you could have a day of the week where you dedicate your post to an exotic food that you have never tried, but try it and then write about that experience. Also, maybe you could make a section dedicated to cooking for college students where you could make recipes and give tutorials in a youtube video. Just some thoughts to seperate your blog from the competition.

3. Liz says:

This sounds like a great blog topic! After reading your post I wanted to share a link to one my favorite food blogs: http://www.howsweeteats.com/ . Like the blog you linked us too this one is very visual and it includes a lot of well photographed pictures. One thing I particularly love about this blog is that in many of the posts the author puts up pictures of every step of the cooking process. This way you can compare your cooking to the images and get a better idea of whether or not you are making a dish correctly. She additionally really puts her own unique voice into all her posts, which I think makes the blog really fun to read, it’s like you’re having a casual conversation with the creator of all of these amazing dishes. I know you said you are more accustomed to formal writing, but I think writing in a casual, fun voice would make reading formulaic recipes more exciting. Lastly, I think that Pinterest could be a great resource for you! That website has an unlimited number of creative recipes and interesting food related ideas. It would probably give you some great inspiration for your blog!

4. burtonem says:

I love this blog idea! This blog is sure to attract all types. It seems to be trying to cover a lot of topics, so try narrowing down either food or fashion, because it could get to be a lot to handle for one blogger.
    Consider yourself followed when your blog gets up and running!