I Want to Explore the Cities of the World

I am a transportation nerd. I love maps and infographics. I love sustainable urban design. And, I want to explore the cities of the world.

Greater Los Angeles Freeway

This map is pretty much the coolest thing ever.
Copyright Stonebrown Design

If I cannot physically explore the cities of the world (at least not yet), why not explore them through a blog? I want this blog to be a place where I can explore the unique and wonderful aspects of cities, their residents, and the lifestyles they espouse. I want it to be a place where I can explore the failing and falling aspects of cities. And, I want it to be a place where I can explore the sustainability and livability of cities and suggestions for their futures.

For the design of my blog, I would like to have a clean, urban-looking design that is colorful and attractive to the eye. I want to have posts display with a title, summary, and picture, rather than displaying the whole article.

With regards to voice, I want to include a biography so that readers know I am a student who is exploring these issues, not an expert giving opinion. From what I have seen of the city blogosphere, the student voice is underrepresented. I would love for this blog to be a community of people learning about cities from both each others experiences and experts opinions.

Two blogs that I have looked to for content and design:

Cities for People is a blog by Gehl Architects, an Urban Quality Consulting firm that focuses on the human dimension of cities. I love reading their ideas about livability and how community spaces can affect how people move within cities. Their use of infographics to explain their ideas is impeccable. I also love that each blogger has a biography describing his or her role in the company because it gives readers an idea of who is writing each post and with what mindset they might be approaching the issue. (Cities For People. gehlcitiesforpeople.dk. 2013. Web. 15 Sept. 2013)

This Big City is an online publication that shares ideas for sustainable cities. Though this is not a blog, I love their clean and attractive design. I think the fact that their homepage shows a title, preview, and photo makes the website clean and easy to navigate. I also love reading their ideas about sustainability issues because their staff have some excellent insights into ideas and projects for sustainable cities. (This Big City. thisbigcity.net. 2013. Web. 15 Sept. 2013)

This entry was posted in Archives, Project Proposal. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to I Want to Explore the Cities of the World