Sworn Translator vs Freelance Translator

Yes, it has been ages since the last time I wrote in my blog. The thing is that when I arrived to Argentina, I was met with chaos. I was experiencing reverse culture shock, I had to study for my last subject (International Law), and I was struggling hard to find a job. To keep my mind busy, I decided to study while applying to different jobs.

After a month of intense studying, the effort has paid off and, since last Thursday, I am a sworn translator.

My family and friends on my graduation day. On the same day you sit for and you pass your last exam, it is customary in Argentina for family and friends to throw eggs and flour at the recently grad.

Is a sworn translator the same as a freelance translator?

A sworn or certified translator is a person who attests the translation is faithful and accurate with regard to the original document. In Argentina, in order to be a sworn translator you must hold a bachelor`s degree, and be registered in a Translators Association according to the region. However, in other countries, like in the USA, translators must pass a challenging exam.

A freelance translator is a person with excellent command of the source and target language who transfers knowledge and culture from one language to the other.

Misconceptions

There is a common misbelief that a professional translator has to be “sworn” to do a certain job; however, that is not the case. Freelance translators can translate most of the documents sworn translators translate, except for documents that are submitted to public or administrative agencies of the Government, or to foreign entities. Some examples of documents that are only translated by sworn translators are: contracts, birth and marriage certificates, and passports, ID cards, diplomas, transcripts, balance sheets, articles of incorporation, by-laws, among others.

I hope you enjoyed this short post. Please feel free to add any comment and thoughts. My next blog is going to be on what to do after graduation and looking for jobs.

This entry was posted in Student Blog Project 2015, Student Blog Project 2015 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.