They Let Me Back In

I think I know what I want to blog about. I was toying with a few ideas, like one about improv or maybe doing a “The History of The Internet” bit but instead I decided to choose music.

Not just music though, I want to blog about my new radio show. I know, real riveting stuff. But there is a story to it all, and I intend to tell it.

Heres the preface:

https://stylehitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Khaadi-Men-Polo-Shirts-2012-3.jpg

It all started 3 years ago when I joined the radio station here at Dickinson, 88.3 WDCV. It was a blast at first! I love sharing music and talking about it so the radio was a perfect niche to find as a freshman. Everybody involved seemed really cool and the station had tons of posters for bands I didn’t know, however things did not stay groovy for long.

This is where the plot thickens.

As a budding first year I knew that I should probably do something productive with my summer rather than go home and hang out with my cat. I had applied to a few jobs in my home town (professional green polo-shirt wearer at the new GIANT) and (professional orange polo-shirt wearer at Dunkin Donuts); fortunately their people never got in touch with my people. So when an e-mail came across my inbox with an opening for the WDCV summer intern position, I decided to reply.

After a very official, late-night-porch-conference with Ben and Dan, the radio station Seniors with monosyllabic names who were departing that year, I felt jazzed to know that I officially had a gig lined up for the summer. And the best part, no polo shirts.

While the summer went as expected, the problem came when my sophomore year rolled around. The people at the radio station and the Alex from that time had drastically different visions regarding involvement and commitment. I decided that instead of giving my time to WDCV I would allocate it elsewhere and as a result, I burned an entire city’s worth of bridges and felt little to no remorse. It wasn’t until my friend Jon informed me that “pretty much everybody hates you” that I knew I had severely screwed up.

Maybe I should’ve stuck with wearing polo shirts.

For the time being, I will omit the unnecessary details of the humble unpaid internship, as they will be illuminated in further posts. I will however just say that the decision I made on that porch that pre-summer night has been one of the monumental of my time at Dickinson.

I think I finally figured out what this blog will really be about. It will be about resurrection, and the music that brought me out of the ashes of all those bridges.

Check out my show I just aired my first show tonight. It’s every Tuesday at midnight on the internet and the radio.

The track list for my first show was:

1. Midnight Fantasy by Hank Crawford
  2. Cubano Chant by Art Blakey Percussion Ensemble 
  3. Early In the Morning by Peter, Paul & Mary Peter, Paul and Mary 
  4. Flight of The Flamingo by Flamingosis
  5. Brunch at the bodega by Flamingosis 
  6. Natural Ni Koishite by Perfume
  7. Watch Out! by Wells & Fargo 
  8. Statue of Liberty. by Phony Ppl 
  9. The First Bomb Dropped in Berlin During World War Two, Killed the Only Elephant in Berlin Zoo by My Name Is Ian
  10. Promises by Monophonics (sick vid)
  11. Alfonso Muskedunder by Todd Terje (also sick vid)
  12. 恋するフォーチュンクッキー by AKB48

This entry was posted in 2016, What Makes a Good Blog?. Bookmark the permalink.