Artists Work ‘En Plein Air’ at Ag Event at Dickinson College Farm

The Sentinel
By Naomi Creason
June 9, 2011

For Claire Beadon Carnell, there’s nothing quite like being outside, even if that means bringing bug spray and sunscreen along with her paints and brushes.

“You can’t get any better than this,” Carnell said, looking beyond her painting to see sheep huddling under a wagon for some shade. “I love being out in nature. I especially love painting anywhere near the water. I’ve seen blue herons and osprey. I’m pretty lucky to be able to do this.”

Summer is an especially busy season for Carnell, who is a member of the Susquehanna Valley Plein Air Painters, a group of artists who wander the region to paint in “en plein air” sessions, or “in the open air.”

Although she’ll be a part of the Gettysburg Festival from June 10-19, she also made sure to pencil in some plans for a special event on Saturday.

The Carlisle Arts Learning Center and the Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture are collaborating to offer the first “Art on the Farm” event to showcases both local art and local agriculture.

The idea was formed by Jen Halpin, a member of PASA and the director of the Dickinson College Farm in Boiling Springs, and CALC Executive Director Carrie Breschi was eager to jump on board.

“Jen Halpin came to me with the idea of merging local farm art with local farm food,” Breschi said. “I think it’s a natural pairing. The two can be very artistic – you can be creative with making food and be creative with making art.”

Read more…