Second Annual Harvest Fest Held at College Farm

The Dickinsonian
By Emily Swain
October 8, 2009

Students gathered at the Dickinson College Farm in Boiling Springs, Pa. on Oct. 2 to celebrate the end of another growing season and a successful harvest at the farm. Harvest Fest featured contra dancing, fresh apple cider, local and organic foods, pumpkin painting and a bonfire.

The purpose of this event is to educate the campus community on the local food movement, sustainable agriculture and the college farm program, said Carrie Evans ’12, president of Students Interested in Sustainable Agriculture (SISA).

SISA and the college farm program have hosted Harvest Fest since 2004 when the farm opened, according to the farm website. Evans and Jennifer Halpin, director of the farm, organized the event this year.

“My hope for the event was for people to come to the farm who weren’t familiar with the farm. I think a lot of people have preconceived notions about the farm in that they think it’s not accessible to them, but it is,” Evans said. “I wanted people to have fun and to have a different experience than a normal weekend.”

Biology Professor Tom Arnold attended Harvest Fest. “I went last year so I knew it was coming up,” he said. “Actually, students reminded me and gave me a hard time that I didn’t know about it.” Arnold lives close to the farm and visits there regularly with his classes for research projects.

He said his favorite part of Harvest Fest is that “it’s nice to come out and see you guys [students] and also to bring my family. It’s great to catch up in a way that you don’t get to in the classroom.”

Evans said, “[Harvest Fest] was a lot better than last year because people didn’t really know what to expect, but this year, people were really excited to be there and celebrate.”

The overall atmosphere of the event was both relaxed and lively. “The people there were so excited to enjoy fall,” said Eleanor Mackintosh ’12.

Elaine Herbig ’12 said, “Everyone was really chill and it felt like home.”

“Everyone was there to have a good time and that was really great,” Evans said.

There was a constant flow of people throughout the evening, with about 250 attendees by the end of the night. “I didn’t expect that many people to attend,” Evans said. Vans transported students from Kaufman Hall to the farm. The big red barn was packed with people attempting to avoid the light rain as the smells of fall filled the air.

The line for fresh, local food filled half the barn as everyone waited for a chance to taste the dishes. “The food was the big part [of the planning] because we wanted it to be all local and organic foods, which meant we had to go to different vendors to order everything,” said Evans. “The food is much healthier for you because it has more care and isn’t processed. It’s more sustainable and is just better for the planet.”

The menu included grassfed beef and veggie patties, local cheddar cheese, pita bread, salad, carrot hummus and salsa prepared by the farm. Leo’s Ice Cream – chocolate and blackberry – sat in a cooler on the back table.

“It was all local food, which was a plus. I really liked that part,” Herbig said. The apple press churned continuously through the night to keep several pitchers on the drink table filled with fresh cider.

Visitors tapped their feet and faculty members danced with their children to the sound of bluegrass music. “The band doesn’t actually have a name. They are local musicians that  always play for us,” Evans explained.

Mackintosh especially enjoyed the contra dancing. “The band was blue-grassy and fun. They taught us a little hoedown, so to speak. We lined up and had partners… it was really lively.” Arnold, who was among the dancers, said, “I wish they had something like that while I was in college. They had a band and someone to teach you contra dancing for free.”

A bonfire was among the highlights of the evening. “I loved the bonfire,” Julieta Rabinovich ’10 said, “It reminded me of home because people just brought out their instruments and started playing songs.”

While the rain lightened, the fire warmed the group as many toasted marshmallows for dessert.

The Dickinson Farm has various programs aside from Harvest Fest, most notably the Weed and Feed program. Evans explained that students leave from Kaufman Friday afternoons to help out at the farm for a few hours.After the chores, students are given a snack made of farm-grown ingredients.

When asked if there was anything to change for next year’s Harvest Fest, Evans replied, “I would not have it be raining.”

If one is interested in getting involved in the Dickinson College Farm or SISA email garden@dickinson.edu.