How the Heck do you Expect me to Get on that LION!

August 25, 2009 · 1 Comment

As I sit and write this blog post, I am listening to Claire De Lune by Debussy.

How beautiful it is, that music has the ability to bring people together, regardless of race, religion, or nationality. During the concert today, I became very fascinated with the ability to believe something to be universal. How can such a large group of people enter a Christian church, in no means looking for religion, to attend a performance by an unknown group, that solely relies on ones ability to hear. Can such an art form unite human beings? Do we have the knowledge to accept the fact that people of this world have more in common than we think, or are we too busy promoting our differences? Is peace a possibility in our future? I’m not sure, however I do believe that music is a beautiful representation of how people of the world can connect no matter the differences.

I feel like I say this every time I write a blog, but how could my day start any better. I absolutely loved watching E.L.F perform. Their first piece, which was an abridged version of the Broadway Musical “Phantom of the Opera”, was one of the most moving experiences I have had here in London. To be in such a historical building, and to watch these passionate individuals perform, was truly a beautiful site.

After the performance I headed towards the National Gallery Museum. Not only did I about wet my pants at the size of the museum, but as I walked further towards the entrance the view from its steps became more and more beautiful. Many of London’s great land marks were right in front of my eyes. “Unbelievable” is the only word i can use to describe what I saw. The Museum was what I expected and more. I have a particular interest in Rembrandt and other Dutch artists, and i think it is because of my obsession with early modern Europe. Rembrandt painted during the 16th century when Holland was a very important economic country. It is a wonderful example of how Europe was evolving over the 15th-18th centuries but still remained a central area for the arts. I really enjoyed this museum. I made it through many of the galleries but I would love to go back and spend more time in each section.

It was a wonderful day. I wake up every morning in shock that I’m lucky enough to be here. I hope every step I take reflects how grateful I am to be here. I LOVE IT!

Categories: Museums · Patsy

1 response so far ↓

•   madeleinea // Aug 26th 2009 at 08:17

Patsy, I felt the same way at the E.L.F concert and you make a really wonderful point that I had overlooked. It was really insightful of you to see the power that music has, and I think that you are absolutely right in thinking that it can bring together large groups of people from different life experiences and backgrounds, allowing us to become a community of listeners. Our lives are always so busy that we rarely stop to value the time spent just sitting among others; talking, listening, or even praying. I myself became a little ansy while the trio was preforming and your blog made me stop and think about WHY. Have I actually lost my ability to sit in silent communion and appreciate a rare, peaceful moment with others? When did I forget the importance of the spirituality that lies within music?