Dickinson College Humanities Program in Norwich

Calling all Mac-users!

August 4, 2009 · 4 Comments

Ok, so here I am again with another post on my findings. I have to go out and purchase converters for all of my electronics, such as camera charger, computer, etc. I have a MacBook and since my computer is probably one of the most important possessions going abroad with me, I called up Apple to see how they would fair in England. Apparently, Macs have something built in that they do well with converters abroad. They also have a feature (that I have yet to find) that can allow the DVD player to play the European-style DVDs. The only problem is you can only switch back and forth from this function a limited number of times. It is also good to make sure your Mac is covered under AppleCare abroad so that it is protected. Yay Macs!

Categories: Uncategorized
Tagged: , ,

4 responses so far ↓

  •   hankreas12 // Aug 4th 2009 at 15:24


    I called Apple as well and got the same information. It’s good to hear that we should be all set while in England as long as we are under the protection plan. Also, I believe there is an Apple store in London so in case anyone needs any last minute appliances/converters that should be an option.


  •   allisonmschell5 // Aug 4th 2009 at 18:13

    Awesome! Thanks Henry! Yes, I believe all we need is the adapter for the Mac and not the converter as well. Hooray!

  •   Chelsea Gilchrist // Aug 7th 2009 at 16:23

    I’m fairly positive modern PCs have the same internal power converter thingy as well, so I think PC users will be covered as well 😀

    A note about the DVD compatibility: You’re really in trouble if you go over the number of times you’re allowed to switch the region. I recommend getting a third-party program. I use AnyDVD (http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html). It’s not exactly cheap, but there are ways to…obtain this program (and probably others) through slightly cheaper means.

  •   Karl // Aug 15th 2009 at 16:38

    For all computers, you should only need a plug adapter, not a voltage converter. Plug adapters are cheap and small. You can get them in the states or around the corner from our hotel.

You must log in to post a comment.