Hometown Glory Part 1: Shaking Hands

February 1, 2010 · 4 Comments

Today, at the UEA Grad Bar Creative Writing Society’s Open Mic Night, I met Tim Clare and John Osborne. I just went right up to them, and introduced myself, and asked if I could ‘have a chat with them’ and it was awesome. Right about now, you are probably wondering who these two guys are and why I am even bothering to tell you I met them, let alone bragging about going up and talking to them. Clare and Osborne are both members of the up-and-coming if not already up, poetry group known as AISLE16. And, if you are doing a big research paper/project on Norwich poetry, with an experiencal bit based on the contemporary poetry scene in Norwich, and you just happened to have discovered Aisle16 via the inter webs just a few nights ago, seen that they had a show in Norwich coming up, and hoped to get a chance to interview them—all of which has happened to me—and then magically, you’re in the Grad Bar listening to your peers then one of them gets up and performs, well you would be just as excited as I am right now to say, “Yeah, I went up and talked to them.”

But a little bit more on Aisle16. The Norwich Arts Centre (NAC) calls them, “the UK’s most sought-after poetry collective.” And this Monday, 8th February at the NAC they will be returning to their hometown of Norwich to perform a show about leaving home and then returning home (hopefully to receive some glory). Having now seen both Clare and Osborne, two of the five members of the group, perform live, I can say they are both comedic and touching, balancing satire with the most poignant sense of adolescent misplacement that we’ve all once felt. Before the show on Monday, I will be interviewing the members (YIKES!) as part of the experience elements of my poetry research project. So keep an eye out for Hometown Glory Part 2: The Interview.

Categories: Megan
Tagged: , ,

•   Karl // Feb 2nd 2010 at 05:33

Superb! I bet you are feeling a bit better about this project now than when you were in my office yesterday. I’m glad to hear that Clare and Osborne were so receptive.

•   aidanoshea // Feb 12th 2010 at 16:37

Interesting stuff, Megan. As someone who’s not too familiar with “stand-up poetry” I’ll be interested to hear how they describe their poetry compared to how it was described in the review you linked to. I’ll also be interested to see how they’re influenced by other poets in Norwich (I had no idea there was even a scene).

•   Phyliss Greenan // Mar 4th 2010 at 18:03

Excellent post just completely excellent..I know it would be certainly a great thing to link here to » Hometown Glory Part 1: Shaking Hands Norwich Humanities 2009-10 . Would you mind me placing a link on my site? Here’s the link it’s about article writing tips and much more.If so comment on something letting me know so I can link back here to you.

•   mliberty // Mar 4th 2010 at 19:07

Of course you can link to my article. Thank you for including me on your site.
    -Megan