Vladimir Petrushevsky

An Archive

January 19th, 1915

Когда вчера стемнело, то удалось вынести Бурликова. Он оказался жив, но поморозил себе ноги и одну руку, другая была в перчатке. Рана сквозная чуть выше висков. Оттерли его снегом. Он ничего не говорил, а только стонал и моргал глазами. Когда ноги оттерли, то он дергал ими, очевидно, от боли. Я дал ему коньяку, который достал с таким трудом специально для таких случаев. Бурликов 12 часов лежал неподобранный, и как только он не замерз? Днем мы пытались его вытянуть из-за проволочных заграждений, но немцы открывали пулеметный огонь. Ночью было до 6 градусов по Реомюру, у меня в окопах походный градусник.

Сегодня в 1 час дня немцы начали пускать гранаты, и на сей раз 1 из 15 разорвалась близко за окопом, недалеко от козырька, под которым я сидел. Меня обсыпало песком, и осколок упал у моих ног. Он был около 3-х дюймов длины и 1 с четвертью дюйма ширины. Я поднял его и обжегся. Взял на память.

Yesterday, after the sun went down, we were able to carry Burlikov from the battlefield. We discovered he was still alive, but his legs were frostbitten, as well as one hand. The other was safely gloved. He had a perforating wound above his temple. We wiped him down with snow. He didn’t say anything, but only moaned and blinked his eyes. While we were wiping his legs off, he jerked them away, clearly in pain. I gave him some brandy, which I procured with great difficulty, especially for situations like this. Burlikov had lain unmoved for twelve hours, so how is it that he didn’t freeze? In the afternoon, we tried to move him from behind the barbed wire, but the Germans opened fire with machine guns. I have a travel thermometer in the trench, and at night the air temperature reached six degrees by the Réaumer scale.

Today at one in the afternoon the Germans began a grenade barrage, and this time one out of fifteen exploded not far from the trench shield I was sitting under. I was showered with sand, and a thick piece of shrapnel fell at my feet. It was three inches long and a quarter inch wide. I picked it up and burned myself. I took it as a souvenir.